Eternal Security question for born-agian Christians..

I've been a christian for quite some time. My husband however is not a Christain..he is Catholic. Please don't think I'm saying he isn't a christian because he is Catholic. I believe that religion doesn't matter so much as you believe strictly what the Bible says. Anyway..I've had some really good discussions lately and one thing that was brought up was that for him, salvation can be taken away depending on what sin he commited. I believe that once your saved all your sins have been forgiven..past, present and future sins. BUT where does it say that savaltion is forever? And where does it say that you can know your a christian?

I've had a really hard time answering these questions for him...Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think being saved is a free ticket to sin and be saved from it and I am a christian. Being saved is more of a committment to me also.
    Anonymous

• your right, being saved isn't a free ticket to sin. BUT we are still sinners even though Christ saved us and we will still sin.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 2:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• We are not perfect.. and we will sin but we are not to continue in sin. He has given us the ability by the power of His Holy Spirit to be overcomers. Do I think you can lose your salvation? no. Do I think you can walk away from it? yes. The difference? Once believing having given your heart to Jesus and then deciding you'd rather go back and live your life in sin or just not believe at all or continuing in sin.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Would you really have been saved then in the first place? Wouldn't it make this passage false? Rom. 8:38-39
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Anonymous

• I don't believe that God takes your salvation away depending on what sins you commit. As far as I know, there's only one unforgiveable sin and that's blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!

Different religions practice and believe different things. I have never read in the Bible that God would take my salvation away for a sin therefore I don't believe that will happen. That's why I don't consider myself a part of a "religion".
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Since when does LOVE = SALVATION?

Just because My Father loves me, does that rob me of free will? Of the ability to sin?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• It's helpful to look at verses about God's assurance. Eph 1:13-14 tells us the Holy Spirit seal 's our salvation. Other passages refer to God's power . The Romans 8 passage says that nothing is able to separate us from the love of God. However, I have a dear Catholic friend, and what we found is that sometimes when discussing differences or even just questions, there are semantics that can cause confusion for Catholics & Protestants. Many Catholics use the word "salvation" in the way a Protestant would use "sanctification" - as the process of working w/ God in becoming more like Him than our "original" person. There is a great book , "Eternal Security" by Charles Stanley, that gives good insight as well. But, truthfully, if you both believe you were given salvation thru Jesus Christ and that He is your Lord & Savior, & live accordingly, the ? of eternal security is not really as much of an issue.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 2:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Since when are Catholics not Christians? Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians, blah, blah, blah. Catholicism is a subset of Christianity.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I never said he wasn't a christian because he was catholic. I don't however believe that just because your catholic, baptist, methodist, etc you are a christain. Being a christian is more than just religion..

Anonymous

• By that comment, being saved doesn't make you a Christian either...except by your own proclaimation--which for many is failed by their actions.

The importance of the Bible is found in the underlying allegorical meaning. It is not in what the Bible strictly says--if you believe that, I wonder how, the book constantly contradicts itself, not to mention that there are tons of teachings of the Christian church that are shared by most denominations that are not in the Bible, unless you do what Biblical literalists claim not to do--stretch the text and cherry pick. Christians constantly make this mistake--speaking for God in such a way...and all it does is limit divinity.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2008