Baby's last name...

I am torn and running out of time to decide. My boyfriend and I are technically not engaged, like he hasn't 'proposed' per say, but we both talk about getting married after the baby is born. Anyways I can't decide if our daughter should have my last name or his? I think his last name sounds better with her name, and I mean we 'plan' to get married, I just really don't like the idea of her having a different last name than me. I don't know why it bothers me so much but I just want my baby and I to have the same last name. So what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Baby Names

• I gave my son his father's last name before we were married. We got married when ds was 18 months old. You could give your baby your last name and then change it once you got married if you wanted to- but if you plan to get married anyway it might be more trouble. Tell your boyfriend your reasons why you may keep our child's and your last name the same- maybe suggest he buy you a ring??
    Anonymous

• I'm traditional, and feel like babies should have their dad's name. Unless of course the dad is a deadbeat. In my opinion, if you are sure you are going to marry him and take his name, I can't imagine why you wouldn't give the baby his name as well.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:34 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i would give her your last name until things between you and your SO are "official". i gave my oldest my last name instead of my fiance's, and it was the best decision i made because she is 4 now and he hasn't seen her since she was 1, he turned out to be a sperm donor instead of a father. now i'm married, the kids we had together have our last name and there is always the option of changing my oldest's last name to ours if she wants to be adopted by my husband someday.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:35 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I would say, use your last name then when you get married you can change it. No big deal since obviously the father will consent.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My SO and I arent married, and our DD has his last name. Like you, we plan to get married at some point, and lthough she and I dont have the same last name, it really isnt a big deal. One day we will...
    I say, if you really want to give the baby your last name, why not hyphenate with yours and his?
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:38 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I would only give your LO your SO's last name if you were certain that you would get married eventually. Otherwise, you risk doing it yourself and having a different last name from your child if he becomes uninvolved.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:41 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I gave my last name and it actually turned out to be a GOOD thing! You can always have her name changed when you marry.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 8:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

• This is his child too. If you give your child your last name and things don;t work out he can get the birth certificate changed based on the fact that he is the biological father. The law sides with the father on things like that. Expecially if he is paying child support. And if you do make it and get married it would be easier to only change your name and not your childs also. It is also expensive to change a birth certificate. None of that is worth all that.
    a3b1gmom

Answer by a3b1gmom at 9:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Your last name until you are married. It will give him an incentive to marry you and not keep putting it off. In Wisconsin, a baby's name can be changed within the first year for no charge.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• His last name. He is the father, he plans on sticking around and taking care of both of you, and you plan on getting married so i cant imagine why you wouldnt give your child his last name......
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 10:49 PM on May. 10, 2011