Manners. Do you agree with this list?

**Saw this on Yahoo thought I'd get others opinions**

Helping your child master these simple rules of etiquette will get him noticed -- for all the right reasons.
By David Lowry, Ph.D.

Your child's rude 'tude isn't always intentional. Sometimes kids just don't realize it's impolite to interrupt, pick their nose, or loudly observe that the lady walking in front of them has a large behind. And in the hustle and bustle of daily life, busy moms and dads don't always have the time to focus on etiquette. But if you reinforce these 25 must-do manners, you'll raise a polite, kind, well-liked child.-

Manner #1

When asking for something, say "Please."

Manner #2

When receiving something, say "Thank you."

Manner #3
Do not interrupt grown-ups who are speaking with each other unless there is an emergency. They will notice you and respond when they are finished talking.

Manner #4

If you do need to get somebody's attention right away, the phrase "excuse me" is the most polite way for you to enter the conversation.

Manner #5

When you have any doubt about doing something, ask permission first. It can save you from many hours of grief later.

Manner #6
The world is not interested in what you dislike. Keep negative opinions to yourself, or between you and your friends, and out of earshot of adults.

Manner #7
Do not comment on other people's physical characteristics unless, of course, it's to compliment them, which is always welcome.

Manner #8
When people ask you how you are, tell them and then ask them how they are.

Manner #9

When you have spent time at your friend's house, remember to thank his or her parents for having you over and for the good time you had.

Manner #10
Knock on closed doors -- and wait to see if there's a response -- before entering.

Manner #11
When you make a phone call, introduce yourself first and then ask if you can speak with the person you are calling.

Manner #12
Be appreciative and say "thank you" for any gift you receive. In the age of e-mail, a handwritten thank-you note can have a powerful effect.

Manner #13
Never use foul language in front of adults. Grown-ups already know all those words, and they find them boring and unpleasant.

Manner #14

Don't call people mean names.

Manner #15
Do not make fun of anyone for any reason. Teasing shows others you are weak, and ganging up on someone else is cruel.

Manner #16
Even if a play or an assembly is boring, sit through it quietly and pretend that you are interested. The performers and presenters are doing their best.

Manner #17
If you bump into somebody, immediately say "Excuse me."

Manner #18
Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, and don't pick your nose in public.

Manner #19

As you walk through a door, look to see if you can hold it open for someone else.

Manner #20
If you come across a parent, a teacher, or a neighbor working on something, ask if you can help. If they say "yes," do so -- you may learn something new.

Manner #21
When an adult asks you for a favor, do it without grumbling and with a smile.

Manner #22
When someone helps you, say "thank you." That person will likely want to help you again. This is especially true with teachers!

Manner #23
Use eating utensils properly. If you are unsure how to do so, ask your parents to teach you or watch what adults do.

Manner #24

Keep a napkin on your lap; use it to wipe your mouth when necessary.

Manner #25

Don't reach for things at the table; ask to have them passed.

**I can honestly say that my boys (8,7,and 5) Do NOT follow all of these 25 manners. Do yours?**

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 8:57 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids are only 2 ande 9 months, so no, not yet! But for the most part I agree with the list...problem is....some adults don't even use these manners. It's really sad.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:58 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Amen! Oh and Yes...#19. I love holding the door for someone and they can't say THANK YOU. So I said to them loudly, "YOUR WELCOME!"

Or when they don't hold the door and you've got a stroller or small baby. Thankfully this one doesn't happen often.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 9:20 PM on May. 10, 2011

• iguess i should sy i encourage this... but it will be a long road to 100% success!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:07 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I wish more people would remember rule #19!! We are on our way to following all of these (3 1/2 year old and 14 month old).

Manners are important- now more than ever! There are a lot of people out there and they all need to be treated with respect.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Most of that is common courtesy and all children should be taught it throughout life, but some of it is kind of old news and nobody really cares about it.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My kids are very polite, they were considered really polite when they were about 5, but no not all of them all the time.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• my son is only 2 but i do agree 100% with this list and my son will be following them!
    sundae8

Answer by sundae8 at 9:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• These are all basic rules in our home. My boys were expected to follow tham. My grandchildren are learning them now, and doing quite well. It isn't hard to teach them. Kidss are sponges...if it's great they soak it up...if it's garbage they soak that up too. Next time you encouter a really rude kid, consider the source. Garbage in...garbage out.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My son is is only 4 and he does alot of those already.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 9:16 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I really love this list! My son's main infractions are the ones about grumbling... I'm going to highlight that one about how nobody wants to hear what you don't like. For the most part the kids are polite and say please and thank you and excuse me and all that stuff, but my son still really has a hard time with negativity.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:23 PM on May. 10, 2011