Betrayal at work...how did you handle it?

I've been around the block, but not jaded enough to distrust everyone at work. This woman and I have become close colleagues in a corporate environment that is mostly men. We've known each other for 2-3 years now. I don't need to go into the detail of the betrayal, but she's done it twice. Nothing significant enough for me to cut off all ties, but enough to show me her character. Last time she put me on the spot in a meeting in front of the senior executives. Her statement had nothing to do with the work, but everything to do with her trying to look forceful and all-knowig. I expected that from other people, but not from "a friend". It's very disappointing and hurtful. My theory is people don't change. I have written her off as a true friend at this point, so to me, there is nothin gain from confronting her. How have you handled something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I would confront her, stay professional and then move on. Men can be good friends too! She's acting out of insecurity, and she needs to stop taking these feelings out on you. You don't need that negativity around you. Who does? Good luck, I am a professional and I know how it goes!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:17 PM on May. 10, 2011

• dwmom2008 - you are right. This "friend" is glass-is-always-half-empty kind of person. I don't have time, energy, nor desire for that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:34 PM on May. 10, 2011