Is it just me???

Each year I notice the graduating high school kids are a little less intelligent than the ones before them... Most of them can't even spell well enough to correctly congratulate each other! Personally, I think it's because of social networks, texting and instant messaging... They simply don't spell words out, but use abbreviations to communicate. What do you think?

Sorry, I had NO clue which category...

CeeCee333

Asked by CeeCee333 at 9:24 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Technology

• I agree with you.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:29 PM on May. 10, 2011

• text speak can be thought of as a second language. And has become the norm. The kids aren't necessarily dumb...just lack practice in the art of longhand writing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:29 PM on May. 10, 2011

• its def the lol and jk :p
    ILoveAsherAthan

Answer by ILoveAsherAthan at 9:34 PM on May. 10, 2011

• BradenIsMySon: Shouldn't they be writing essays and reports?
    CeeCee333

Comment by CeeCee333 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes, I agree. Kids don't have to spell out words and when it comes to writing the word they're like "uhhh" lol. I also think it has to do with kids being interested in other things besides school. Everything you see on T.V is about dumb-ass celebrities and how to be like them and do what they do. And that distraction causes them to view school as a "social event". Thats just my opinion. I could be wrong..
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 9:35 PM on May. 10, 2011

• They "Should" be...But, the teachers aren't making them. So, again..teachers fault, not necessarily a dumb kid.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:03 AM on May. 11, 2011

• LOL. I'm not saying the problem is with the child. I blamed technology, you clearly blame teachers... NO ONE IS BLAMING THE CHILDREN.
    CeeCee333

Comment by CeeCee333 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on May. 11, 2011

• yes, I think too dependent on technology...very few consult the dictionary anymore...poor curriculum could be another. I remember when I started as a freshman, my English teacher would have spelling quizzes everyday and we were encouraged to read the dictionary, to increase vocabulary the main goal, and spelling secondly.
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 5:05 PM on May. 15, 2011