When does engorgement swelling go away?! OUCH

I tried to BF and it didn't work out now 4 days after baby's birth my breast are hard as a rock and sting! how long does this usually last>

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 9:40 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The transient engorgement from weaning should last for a few more days. You can ice your breasts, put cabbage leaves with the ribbing broken in your bra, you can wear a tight-fitting bra, take some Sudaphed (if you don't have a cold this might be real drying), and the last suggestion is to go to a natural food store and see if you can find a tincture of Sage. All of these things will help stop the production of milk. You can also safely take some Advil for the discomfort. Stephanie, RN, IBCLC
    Stephanie3211

Answer by Stephanie3211 at 9:47 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I agree with Amber, you only gave it 4 days! It will be hard for a while, you need to know that. But also realize that it is SO worth it. It's the best bonding experience you will ever be able to get! Your body was designed to feed your child from your body, give it some more time- that's my advice. Contact La Leche League and get some help! Don't let that milk go away! Please, please keep trying. Best of luck. I promise you, in a few months, you'll be SO glad you stuck it out. Around 6 months old, they start to understand that mother is their source of food, and no other person can feed them in that way. It's so special. My baby is 6 months, and it's the best experience yet at this age, because he understands that I am his nourishment. It feels AMAZING!
    rcsmama

Answer by rcsmama at 1:09 AM on May. 11, 2011

• everyday you should pump a little bit of milk, just pump enough to release the pain. Your body will get used to the small amount of milk you are letting out and finally stop producing
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 9:42 PM on May. 10, 2011

• oh honey i have felt your pain! mine lasted about a week...wear a sports bra a size too small. the more you compress and control them the less they will hurt. it WILL end!
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 9:43 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Mama, I am not bashing but you only gave it 4 days!! I think you should get baby on breast and have him/her eat. I would go see a lactation consultant you'll get tons of helpful and good information.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 10:44 PM on May. 10, 2011

• OMG, brings back pain just thinking about it. I wasn't able to breast feel my middle child, due to medical problems at birth.
    I would recoment breast feeding, even if its only a month or how ever long you can do it. My third baby, I breast fed until he was 9 - 10 months. But ts your choice..
    Tight bra and advil..
    Hang in there... and congrats..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 2:14 AM on May. 11, 2011