How can I get my 3 yr. old to take dairy products?

My oldest Skylar refuses to drink milk, pretty much any dairy products she hates. She used to like cheese, bow she even stopped eating that. She hates yogurt, and surprisinf enough not even ice cream she likes that much also. I am worried if she doesn't have enough calcium in her diet she could get brittle bones, and her teeth could get bad. I have tried chewable vtamins, gummy vitamins and I don't know what to do. Our pediatrician doesn't seem to want to help either which stinks. Can anyone help me out!

mommyjones

Asked by mommyjones at 2:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I can see your concern. I will tell you that I would be upset at your pediatrician because there may be an underlying medical reason. I ate dairy as a toddler and then suddenly stopped. My parents would try to force feed dairy to me and I hated it.

I hated it because it gave me stomach cramps and sometimes loose stools, it also made me nauseated at times. I am lactose intolerant and that is why I refused dairy.

There are other ways of getting calcium. Orange juice is a great source! Later on try introducing her to less lactose foods, just in case she may be lactose intolerant. This includes lactose free milk, hard cheeses, and some yogurts.

I don't know if your daughter is lactose intolerant but hey, at least you now know OJ has calcium!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Will she drink milk with chocolate syrup in it?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Why not give her calcium in other ways? There is laikely a reason she doesn't want it. Dairy sensitivities are common. My kids get little to no dairy, they are all healthy kids.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• As the others have said, considering that she is refusing all dairy, she may be having a problem with it and you may want to investigate that possibility; Until you know for sure, I wouldn't push the issue. Besides, milk isn't the only or even the best way to get calcium, so if she is willing to eat other calcium-rich foods, I wouldn't even bother with the dairy. Some excellent food sources of calcium are dark, leafy greens (spinach, broccoli, kale, beet greens, collards), fortified cereals, fortified orange juice, fortified soy "milk", other fortified milk substitutes, tofu, soybeans, cowpeas, blackstrap molasses, canned pink salmon w/bones, oatmeal, white beans, clams, blue crab, rainbow trout, sardines, Atlantic ocean perch, okra, and sweet potatoes.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:46 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I suggest listening to your child. There is probably a reason she is refusing dairy. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need. # dark greens: broccoli, spinach, collards, kale, turnips, bok choy, parsley, mustard, dandelion,tofu and other soy products (plus most soy and rice milk is fortified with things like calicium and Vit D), beans: chickpeas/garbanzo beans, navy beans, pinto beans, nuts & seeds, grains: tapioca, quinoa, tortillas, calcium-fortified orange juice and more
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• There are plenty of fortified juices like a OJ and I think Motts ( at Target) that have calcium now.

My son can not eat dairy due to food allergies and he is fine. He also takes those chewy vitamins.

Anonymous