How do u feel about headstart program

people have said to me that headstart is for low income familys which im one of. but n that people have made me fear of sendin my 3 yr old to one. i would luv for my son to keep going to the school that hes n that is part of a church but i just cant pay for it. what do u moms think about this? how can i decide waht to do? i dnt want these kids that have parents that say an do things nfront of there kids to show things to mine. now dnt take that the wrong way im not sayin thats all the familys that go there but i think that is higher likey then a church...which now day u never knw. i just dnt knw how to come about this i want the best for my son. i just knw money is hard rite now. please no bashing....thanks

kelleyplus2

Asked by kelleyplus2 at 9:50 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• one of my friends kids is going to our headstart, she has learned her abc's, numbers, patterns, how to write her name, be a better listener, ect. she has learned a lot of the skills that she needs to know for going to school. You can ask if you can observe the class for a few hrs to see how the students and teachers interact with eachother and you can also ask what they will be learning, eatting for lunch and snacks.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• have you look into daycare assistance. i do not know if they have that sort of thing for preschool. but some preschool also have special scholorships for those that want to send their child to a particular school and can't afford it. i would talk to the church and see if they can help you out or guide you in the right direction. i do not think headstart is for low income. i think its there for low income families but not everyone that uses headstart is low income. i really do not know too much about it but i would do more research and see where it leads you. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:56 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My kids school has a headstart program and from what I hear its wonderful. I wish I could get my 2 yr old in nxt yr but according to them, we make to much....but we cant really afford daycare right now neither. Thankfully my mom watches him during the day
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My younger sister went and my mom loved it and so did my sis. Mom volunteered there a lot, and kirsten had a great time. I would have loved to get my kids in headstart here, but they don't even offer it in this county...they said there isn't enough of a demand...whatever that means...look into scholarships or gov. paid preschool programs, hopefully thereafter something around you...good luck!
    addynbellasmom

Answer by addynbellasmom at 10:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

• good idea thanks.... my son has been n a program one day a wk for 2 n a half hrs he luvs it an has learned so much n the lil time he has gne this yr
    kelleyplus2

Comment by kelleyplus2 (original poster) at 10:53 PM on May. 10, 2011

• well i have two kids of my own and they are both in head star and they have learned alot wat city are u in
    MOMYOF2939

Answer by MOMYOF2939 at 11:56 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My daughter will start this fall and she is so excited. I don't see it as me shoving her off on someone. I see it as giving her the opportunity to learn because she wants to learn everything right now and I don't know how to teach her. She can't wait :)
    JenniP0708270

Answer by JenniP0708270 at 12:46 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My 4 yr old is in Headstart and she loves it and I love it. The teachers are amazing!! My dd has developmental delays so she's been in headstart since she was 3. She has made a lot of friends and so have I.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:53 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Oh yea and they always let the parents volunteer. I go to her school 2-3 days a week and help with craft projects, lunch and parent teacher meetings.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:54 AM on May. 11, 2011

• you should go check it out, i have noticed the different places that i have lived that they are different, when my oldest was young i sent him to a private preschool because the head start there was awful, i think most parents used it as a daycare center. but my youngest went to headstart in a different state and it was wonderful, they did so much for my son and he loved it and i was very happy. you can just walk in there and let them know that you are looking into it and while you are there you will be able to see what is going on.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:07 AM on May. 11, 2011