Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How Can I get my money back from him?

Okay Moms, you might all think I'm crazy, but I have a serious question. I have been seeing this guy and for a while he kept asking to borrow money. Well, after tallying up just how much money he has borrowed since March the grand total is $3,048!!! I didn't realize because I work so much & was just trying to help and didn't think about money, but now that I brought it to his attention (& yes, I have every receipt for everything) he will hardly talk to me. He always says he'll give me some money on Friday when he gets paid but once it comes I never see any money. Is there any way to get the money back? Now that I realize that he simply used me for my money I want to be done, but I don't want to break up with him without my money back for fear that I simply won't get it back at all. What should I do? & Yes, I know some Moms are going to want to say that I'm stupid for doing this, but I honestly did not realize how much money it was until I did the math. Is there anything I can do? And please don't say I'm a bad Mom, I have plenty of money for my kids and they always come first, I'm not left broke, I just would like it back.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • Sue his ass.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:04 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • Get it in writing that he will pay you even if it's in a texting form, then get in touch with a lawyer

    Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:06 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • small claims court

    Answer by happymom8262 at 10:16 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • that is why i only date men with FAT pockets...seriously.

    Answer by gwen20 at 10:18 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • Agreed with gnome, get it in writing and then dump his ass. Small claims court won't do you any good unless you get it in writing.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 10:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • can you really use a text as proof?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:36 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • b/c I have a TON of texts from him saying how much $ he was gonna give me & then texts with his excuses as to why he couldnt give me money

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • DEFINALTY get it in some sort of writing ( like a text or email) that he will pay you back... even if it is as simple as " I figured up that you owe me *X amount* and I want to know when you will pay me back" ..

    If you do not get that form of writing or him admitting to it... then it wont stand up in court... even if you were lead to believe he would pay it back the judge will say " if he didnt pay you back the first time why did you keep giving him money" and then you will have to pay even more for court costs....

    Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 10:38 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • Haven't you ever watched Judge Judy? Ooh I can already hear the lecture;) You will have a chance in small claims if you have or can get a text with him admitting that he owes you, promising to pay you back, hopefully saying an amount, and giving you an idea as to when he will have the money. It would be best if you could talk him into signing something to acknowledge how much he owes you, but that may be much harder to get. I hope you get your money, good luck!

    Answer by Ashes0813 at 6:04 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • No, lol, I've never watched Judge Judy. But thank you very much for the advice, that is a very good idea. I have some texts & such but I'll have to get more nitty gritty apparently

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:24 PM on May. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.