How do you plan and budget yourself when you grocery shop in order to save time, money and your sanity?

Do you shop weekly, monthly, Use a list etc? I am spending too much on groceries and going too often and need to have a plan in place to be more organize, save money, and make better use of my time....any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

2coolmama

Asked by 2coolmama at 10:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Money & Work

• Well i go once a week. but i get food stamps so for the sake of it lets say i get 300 a month for food. There are about 4 weeks in a month so thats 75 dollars a week. i pick one day out of the week and get the groceries i need. it helps to sit at home and plan what u will eat for the week, then put it on a list . If at the end of the week u still have some meals to pepair then finish off those meals before u go back to the store. U can save money by setting designated snack times . this pevents ur kids from snacking all day which prevents going thru snacks so much. Its just me and my son at home and u might have a bigger family to shop for but if u set urself a monthly allowence u learn to shop around that budget.

I hope this helped!

Rachael
    JayBearsmomma

Answer by JayBearsmomma at 10:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Definitely make a list! Sit down and plan out meals and list out everything you need for those meals. If I don't go with a list, I come home with just a bunch of junk and within two days I need to go shopping again.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I am broke this week and have been eating from the pantry on what we have rather than shopping at all. when we ran out ot toilet tissue, I put the tissue (kleenex) box in the bathroom. Today we had bananas and peanutbutter for snack time.

I like to look up cheap recipes, too. Healthy snacks are better in the long run. Either pay for the fruit instead of the cheap fruit flavored snacks, or pay later in doctor's bills.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My husband lost his job, he is on unemployment, our income has been cut in half!! I plan the menu for the week, usually just dinners, I fill in with lunch meat, tuna, canned pasta, cereal, eggs. I make a list and stick to it! I also add up everything I put in the cart as I go along...at the check out there are no surprises, and if I see I'm getting close to my limit I can start winding it up.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:21 AM on Jul. 18, 2008