TOO much drama to stay friends?

I know someone that is always in drama and I'm not like that at all so it gets a but too much. It's one thing to be her friend and let her vent but when it's just draining to be around then it starts to wear on me. I was dragged into something recently and I really don't want to be involved with nonsense. I picked her up to go to a pre cinco de mayo family friendly gathering at another friends house. When I picked her up she told me that her SO was now mad that she left and he proceeded to call her phone well over 45 times. He then called MY phone!! (he must have saved my number when her phone was cut off a couple weeks back and she called me off of his phone) I did not answer and I told her I do not like that he is calling me, that's crossing a major boundary and totally disrespectful. I have nothing to do with their issues and he should not be calling me. She agreed and sent him a text and let him know. But anyway it just seems like it's always something, it's never "I'm having a good day!"

Anyway Im NOT asking for advice, im asking about your experiences, I just used me and a friend as an example. Do you ever just say enough drama from friends or family and stop talking to them completely? Share your experience.

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 10:29 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Friends I will just quit contacting and be too busy for them. Family I will sit and listen while they vent but quit offering any advice or help. One of my stories - sil who complains every time I see or talk to her via email, phone, im about her husband for 15 years now. I finally got tired of it and now I just sit and listen to her vent and if she asks my opinion I just repeat what I've told her for year.."Leave".

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:24 AM on May. 11, 2011

• yes sometimes you have to back up from someone who is emotionally draining you, because when you think about it they are often in a way using you, they may not even be aware of it. I think everyone has come across a friend like this, if you are really true friends you could probably sit down and talk it out and set some boundaries in place and she should respect how you feel.....now if the friendship isnt all that strong and if she is all about herself she probably wont react well to your talk and that would be your red flag to walk away.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:34 PM on May. 10, 2011

• This one girl from high school found me on facebook just last year. We used to hang out until she ran away from home with some guy. So eight years had gone by, and she was very interested in trying to convince me that everyone around her chose their men over her.
    She believed any woman with a guy was not as strong or good as her because she was independent.
    I always was unhappy after talking to her, she always said something to insult me. At the same time as saying she was happy living by herself and that she did not want a relationship.
    When all she could talk about was how trashy her friend was for needing a guy.
    I always was left wondering what she thought of me at the end of the phone call.
    When she came out to visit me, she spent most of the time asking or wondering why my hubby did not go out with us. When she went home I never called her back. She called a few times, but I never answered.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 10:43 PM on May. 10, 2011

• OMG I had that same friend. Always drama sucking the life out of us. She would come over to join us for game night and end up drinking to much and crying about how shitty her life is. It was constant drama if not one thing another. About two weeks ago she came over with a date who was a total jerk and the drama once again took over the party. My hubby then told me to get her out now. I did. The next morning she called to apologize and I told her that I would not accept her apology and to never call me again. So we are done. We are all better off without friends who suck the life out of us.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 10:54 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes, Yes, and Yes. I have family members that have such a nasty outlook on life, everyone is out to get them, it's either their way or the highway with no in between. Needless to say, they have been cut out of my life. Negativity, to me, is very contagious. If you fill your life with it then all you get out of life is negative. I just posted a few minutes ago...drama is what can be controlled, everything else is just life....if I can control it, and it's negative it gets kicked to the curb.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:19 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I will cut off friends like that, but family I just tend to avoid as much as possible. They suck the joy out of life and are just altogether draining.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 5:41 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I know people like this, it is like they live for drama and fighting, I don't allow them around anymore, they annoy the hell outta me so I cut them off, life is much sweeter now without them and the drama that comes along with them,
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Some of my own family writes me off for being a single mother. To me that's to much drama. And I had this friend that called dcfs on me when my oldest son hit my middle son and told them I did it. Once the case was closed they told me she did it. And found she had done this more then once. Yeah mommas don't neex drama we have enough to worry about just being a mom and wife. No time for drama.
    mrs.smith2011

Answer by mrs.smith2011 at 9:26 AM on May. 11, 2011