Do u think parents are negligent when they have very overweight kids ?

i am not referring to kids with medical problems which contributes to their weight gain.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 10:35 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, its motsly lazy parents that dont cook for their kids,instead they let them eat whatever is fastest and cheapest. That equals a generations of fatties.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:02 PM on May. 14, 2011

• Chubby, no... just too lenient. Obese, yes.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I'd have to live with them and see how they were raising their children to be able to answer that. If they make no attempt to provide a healthy lifestyle for their children, and don't seek any kind of professional medical or dietary assistance if they are in a position to be able to get it, then I think most people would agree that yes there was some negligence going on. But there may be other factors contributing to the situation, and those things can only be determined on a case by case basis.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 10:40 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I would not automatically presume that, unless I knew they were eating fatty take away 5 nights a week and all meals were provided from the frozen section of the grocery store and no effort was put into healthy foods.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:43 PM on May. 10, 2011

• YES! I actually know a person on my street who had Gastric Bypass, and yet allows her kids to be 100 or more lbs overweight.... very sad.. neglactful and selfish
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• It depends, if the child is extremely over weight sure the parents need to alter something in the child's diet. If the child is just chubby not so much, because mine will chubby up then hit a growth spurt and thin out. After all if a child is school age they eat half their meals at school (this would include breakfast and lunch). My girls are not skinny, but they are not extremely overweight. I no longer allow them to eat school lunches and wouldn't you know it they have lost weight. They play outside after school and are involved in sports. Every situation is different and not every overweight child is a victim of negligence medical or not. Lets view it from the other end of the spectrum. What is it when you have a child who's parents pushes exercise on the child to the point where it causes health risks example: gymnastics. Not to say exercise is bad,but too much can cause problems. Happy and HEALTHY is what's important.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:06 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The parent is in control of what food is available in the home. The parent may not be in total control of what the child chooses to stick in his/her mouth. We eat healthy, but I got a bit upset when my daughter ate a whole avocado in one sitting (they are 300-500 calories, depending on the size; extremely healthy, though). I had a little chat with her about it, but that did not stop it from happening again. Fortunately, it did not become a habit, but if it had, she would have gained some pounds. I suppose I would have stopped buying them for awhile if it happened. So more likely than not, the parent is to blame if the child is overweight.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:53 PM on May. 10, 2011