Is it normal for a broken bone to start aching when it gets cold?

I broke my elbow in May and had surgery and it has not really ached before now. The weather just got cold, so I'm sure that's part of it, but it is pretty sore. I plan on taking some Motrin, but wondered if others have had this happen also.

Kynsicat

Asked by Kynsicat at 2:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Health

• yes it is my husband broke his leg a few years ago and the doctor told him he would always have problems with it especially in cold weather.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yes. Scars, bones ect. all sometimes hurt when the weather changes.

I had a really bad back surgery a few years ago. The scar sometimes hurts when the weather changes. I also broke my toe a few years ago. Hurts when the weather gets cold.

My aunt cut her thumb with a chainsaw many years ago. Her thumb hurts like hell everytime it gets cold.

So i think its pretty normal.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yes, it is normal. My mom had spinal fractures, which resulted in multiple surgeries. Did you have screws or any other metal pieces? If you did, that's what's causing it. What happens is the metal gets cold when you get cold, causing the affected place to ache.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Thanks for your answers! Is there anything you do that helps the pain? Heat? Ice? Wine? :) LOL!!
    Kynsicat

Answer by Kynsicat at 2:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yep. It's called a "weather-wise" ache.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• It is normal for me. I was very unlucky in my 20's and was in a bad car accident. My pelvis was broken in 3 places. I know what I go through in the colder months. It isnt fun! I suffer from numbness and endless achiness.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 4:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2008