I need advise! TMI!! adult content

okay so for some background info - My mother watches my 4 year old son and puts him to bed at night. I normally don't come home until late.

So today, I came home and went to the bathroom and say my son had gone poopoo ( he has a tendency not to flush all the time ) Now today it was a little weird because it looked like around it was red almost like blood.

Now for my question, does anyone think I should worry right now about this ? If so what should I do. Or do you guys think it might have been just from sitting there?
She said he went to the bathroom before he went to bed which was around 7-8 and I noticed this around 10 30.

I am sorry this is such a gross question but im getting worried

LovinMyJay4

Asked by LovinMyJay4 at 10:42 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Blood IN the stool is black. (A previous poster pointed this out already.) There can be bleeding at the site if the poop was large or quite firm, & if he strained to get it out. That can result in some localized bleeding & could look red (but this is different, & less serious, than blood in the poop itself from intestinal bleeding.) This would be a little blood on the outside of the stool, or a reddish cloud around the poop (in the water.) The other thing is that eating things like beets can cause a similar red "cloud" (and make the poop itself red) to an extent that can be alarming! Or it could be artificial coloring in something he ate or drank.
    Anyway, there can be some "tearing" and surface bleeding from forcing out a poop, or there can be an anal fissure (a small internal tear) which also bleeds, so that's most likely what happened. If it's isolated, it happens once & resolves easily, as long as constipation isn't a prob.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:38 AM on May. 11, 2011

• i'd check his poop next time he goes, the red could have been for something he ate or drank, gl i hope nothing is wrong
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:46 PM on May. 10, 2011

• first call his doc and discribe it to hid doc and see what he says i would be worried about the poss. of it being blood, then ask or the doc to check the child for health issues.
    momy_lynn_16

Answer by momy_lynn_16 at 10:50 PM on May. 10, 2011

• was it bad or just alil if it was just alil i wouldnt worry it could b something he ate or if it was really hard he could of made his lil butt sore.... normaly blood n the pooo isnt red his pooo would b really black is a sign of blood. i would check his butt an if ur still worryed take him to the doc
    kelleyplus2

Answer by kelleyplus2 at 10:50 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I agree with josiesmommy... Could be something he ate... If it happens again, or he's complaining of pain or anything unusual, take him to the doctor. Good luck! I hope he's okay :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:50 PM on May. 10, 2011

• id check his poop the next time, but i do know sometimes if it sits there long enough it does change the water color. i will admit ive had to quickly leave an forgot to flush an it happens to my droppings.. an i know what it looked like before hand so i know it just wasnt like that to begin with.. wow this is getting a bit tmi! sorry =/
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 12:11 AM on May. 11, 2011

• IMO it looked kinda like alot right around it. almost like it turned the water around it red =(
    I am going to look somethings up online, Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be if it were to have been blood?

And no, he wasnt acting diffrently at all today =( I might have him sleep with me so i can keep an eye on him though
    LovinMyJay4

Comment by LovinMyJay4 (original poster) at 10:53 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Did he eat red jello today? I had to take a giant horse pill when I was little and my mom would put it in red jello. After a while the coloring built up and looked like blood, so my mom took me to the ER but it turned out to be the jello. I'd call and ask your dr for advice. if it persists then I would consider a trip to the ER
    JenniP0708270

Answer by JenniP0708270 at 5:27 AM on May. 11, 2011

• From my post: "That can result in some localized bleeding & could look red (but this is different, & less serious, than blood in the poop itself from intestinal bleeding.) This would be a little blood on the outside of the stool, or a reddish cloud around the poop (in the water.)"

Just to be clear, I meant the the localized bleeding from straining/pushing too hard could look red, and would be "a little blood on the outside of the stool, or a reddish cloud..." Not that blood in the poop from intestinal bleeding would be a little blood on the outside or a reddish cloud. (Blood in the stool from intestinal bleeding is the kind that would appear black, tarry.) I wasn't sure that what I wrote scanned correctly.

Anyway, this is the same kind of thing that happens when you get a few spots of blood on toilet paper when wiping--the same kind of breaking of surface capillaries from straining or forcing through.

Hope this helps!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:53 AM on May. 11, 2011

• thanks mommas for your advice =) today poop was normal. gross still but normal!
    thanks again!
    LovinMyJay4

Comment by LovinMyJay4 (original poster) at 12:07 AM on May. 12, 2011