When your child is sick

Do you medicate right away or do you wait a day or two to see if it will go away by itself? My mother gets upset that i wait it out as in i dont medicate as soon as i hear a cough. I bring out the humidifier and try to use a more natural path to help her body fight the sickness. She has only been sick once this school year and it lasted 24 hrs. I think her immune system is very strong because ive allowed her body to fight sickness for the most part. She really only gets sick once or twice a year since she was born and it never last more than 2-3 days. My dd who is two has only been sick once.

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 11:20 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nothing wrong with waiting it out a little. You can tell when its serious enough to involve medicine or make a dr's appointment.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 9:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• You know what's best for your child.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i'm like you, i wait and see unless i know what it is, like allergies or something then i medicate since both my kids have a prescription for their allergies
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I have a child that I medicate right away and I have one that I call the doc right away. The other one will take no medication of any kind...it depends on the child and the situation.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I give my kids' bodies a chance to try and fight off the nastiness on their own. I really only medicate when they become listless and just LOOK miserable. Even then though I do minimal doses throughout the day, and try to time the last dose to coincide with bedtime so it helps them sleep.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:42 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No I do not Medicate unless necessary people use it to much
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:18 AM on May. 11, 2011

• With fevers I judge by how the child is acting and feeling. Mine are older, so they tell me when they would like something. I have 1 who is not allowed to run a fever without being given tylenol or motrin because fever is a seizure trigger for him, tho not a febrile seizure. So he gets medicated right away.

As for cold meds, we only offer them at night so they can sleep more comfortably.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:55 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I use my best judgement. BUT, otc meds, do not prevent your child from fighting germs. They treat the symptoms that make them uncomfortable..just sayin.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:20 AM on May. 11, 2011