Will i be doing more harm than good?

I was diagnosed with severe anemia and i had to be hospitalized last year. I started taking prescription iron pills but i lost my medicaid and had to turn to nature made iron pills, i have been taking them for about three months but i noticed that i was getting sick again so i started taking three times a day like i did with my prescription pills, i feel 100% better now. But now im concerned if thats too much and should i go back to once a day. What should i do? I dont wanna make a grave mistake! Please help!

candygurl79

Asked by candygurl79 at 11:35 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Health

• i take one called slowFe twice a day it's over the counter and it works great and is easy on the stomach
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I heard too much iron can damage the liver.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Iron is toxic, you can poison yourself if you take too much. So why don't you call your local pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist. Talk to the one where you had your prescription filled, and see what he can recommend. My son takes iron pills and they are over the counter. They were not expensive either, I think about $11 at Walgreens. I am sure you could get them cheaper at WalMart, its just my little town doesn't have one, so that's where I went! Pharmacists know all about the stuff that they prescribe, more than the doctors know usually.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 11:39 PM on May. 10, 2011

• If you become constipated and or your stools turn black and like tar.. your over doing it. But it can be toxic, is there a clinic you can go to and do a simple blood iron test. You get result while you wait. They test your iron before you can give blood, so its a very simple blood test. And talk to a pharmacist, that's why they're there..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Ask your pharmacist what the OTC equivalent is to the RX dose you were taking... Then take that dose. As long as your doc still wants you taking that much you should be ok!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Too much iron can be toxic; however, if we can combine nuitrition with supplements we should be able to reach a good median. One of the best sources for iron is spinach, and fresh spinach in salad or on sandwiches is a very good alternative to lettuce. Also, learning to eat liver is good for iron balance. Most folks who won't eat calf or pork liver will eat chicken liver. A fantastic meal/salad is fresh spinach greens broken, with a some sliced water chestnuts, and sliced, sauted chicken liver (especially if sauted with chopped bacon). Raspberry/basalmic vinegar dressing, dried cranberries and slivered almonds makes a wonderful meal. I would check with a nutritionist (at home, or on line) along with pharmacist. Be sure to have prescription when you chat with them, so they know what your physician has recommended.
    Rowesbud

Answer by Rowesbud at 11:46 PM on May. 10, 2011

• you can get iron poisoning...you need to have your blood levels checked if you're taking it that often. Eat LOTS of spinach :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:58 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I just started taking them three times a day for the past week. I feel ten times better than last week!
    candygurl79

Comment by candygurl79 (original poster) at 12:19 AM on May. 11, 2011