Best bottles for breastfeeding but supplementing?

So DH and I are currently TTC but have been thinking about breastfeeding, yet I'm uncomfortable with the thought of doing it while in public. Plus DH really wants to be apart of feeding our child. I also don't like the idea of pumping, although my mom says that'll probably change lol. So anyway I was wondering what you all thought were the best bottles to use to prevent nipple confusion and other problems I've been reading about lately?

AimBre

Asked by AimBre at 12:05 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly the best way to breastfeed is without supplementing. Hubby can help with feeding once Baby is a little older and can have solids. In the meantime he can bathe and diaper baby, play with, dance with, tickle and play with. The feeding should be all you for the first 6 or 8 months unitl you feel Baby is ready to get some little tastes of mushy food.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:10 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Playtex, drop inns... loved them.. even when I could not breast feed. Its a clean bottle every time. We bought small containers to mix formula and pour it into the liners.
    Did the same for the next baby, who was breast fed. I got ill and couldn't breast feed for a week. It worked out well.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:10 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Don't introduce the bottle until the baby's 1-2 mos. There are so many different bottles out there to choose from and all baby's are different. My son never wanted the bottle so I would nurse on demand. I pumped my heart out, but he wouldn't even finish a bottle. Every baby's different.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:11 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I honestly don't even know how long I'll breastfeed, it's just not a thought that I am comfortable with, but I know that they need it the first couple weeks at least. For the colostrum so I know at least that long, but I know I don't like the idea of doing it in public, and having a baby is what DH want's so much and he really wants to be able to feed them and have that bonding time to, so while that may seem selfish to others, it's what our family wants to do.
    AimBre

Comment by AimBre (original poster) at 12:14 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Do what works for you, I supplemented with DD and she only would use the avent bottles.
    ASigler86

Answer by ASigler86 at 12:33 AM on May. 11, 2011

• The breastflow bottles are the best ones around that simulate the flow of a mother's breast.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:49 AM on May. 11, 2011

• We used breastflow bottles... there were really good.

But for bottles... look for something with a wide nipple base, shot nipple, slow nipple flow... breastflow bottles are great for that but there are other bottles one the market that are also good.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Breastflow are good, and I'd suggest pumping for sure, because formula and breastfeeding just don't work hand in hand. I'm sorry if you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. Also, with supplementing, you'll more likely have less milk, because it's a supply and demand system. And there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public! I encourage you to rethink that one. You can get nursing covers (blankets don't work because as baby gets older he can pull the blanket down). Personally, I don't even bother with covering up lol. But that's just me. But either way, look into the breastflow bottles, and consider doing away with the idea of any formula. You can duct tape the pump on while you watch tv or read a book! That's what I do. Weird? Maybe. Lol. But hey, it works! Whatever works.. :P Good luck!
    rcsmama

Answer by rcsmama at 1:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I EBF, and very seldomly give DS a bottle of expressed BM. We use Ventaire Advanced, my piggy piggy has no nipple confusion though, thats for sure. He loves to eat!! Also I would advise getting a Medela Pump in Style Advanced, so you can pump and DH can feed him that way.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 2:53 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I was uncomfortable with nursing in public... till I DID it. Never ever a problem with ANYONE.... I became the Invisible Woman.

Bottle choice is determined by what BABY will take.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:21 AM on May. 11, 2011