Would you rather see a little girl whose hair was messy or fixed nice ?

I am asking because I feel it is better to have a nicely groomed child ... and I say this as a mom who lets her kids play in mud.

I fix my daughters hair everyday ( unless she doesnt feel good) ... she will be 5 soon and I have done it since she was a year old ( when she actually grew her hair lol ) ... I usually do a couple bands ( those little non snag rubber bands), or pigtails or just a bow with her bangs pulled back....

My daughter has never said she doesnt want her hair fixed, she has never had any kind of skin / head irritation ...

But yet now I am getting "insulted" because I am "making it to where my daughter will only thinks looks are important" and " taking her childhood away by spending time doing her hair"

Even though, besides fixing her hair and brushing her teeth she never looks in a mirror....

It just bugs me that EVERYTHING I do with MY child has to bug someone and is stepping on someones toes...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't give a load of fetid dingo kidneys about what other people do with their children's hair, as long as the children aren't filthy from neglect.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 12:13 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My daughters' hair is done frequently. Not daily, but I do put braids or pigtails or straighten it, or whatever 'do I feel like at the moment. It's at least gotta be brushed. Who gives a poo if you want to do your daughter's hair daily?!? You think people would applaud you on keeping your daughter well groomed instead of putting you down for it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:14 AM on May. 11, 2011

• If your daughter likes you doing her hair, I see no problem with that. It doesn't matter what other people think, she's your daughter and you can fix her hair any way she wants it. Besides, if the lady who lets her kids play in mud made that remark, she has nothing to brag about.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:37 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Clean and combed is all I would care about but it is perfectly alright for kids to get dirty while playing outside. Then , they come in and get all cleaned up---that's fine.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:44 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I love my oldest daughter's hair. She has messy curls that are so cute. I don't put her hair up because of her curls.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:46 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My dd hated her hair combed or fixed. But it was always clean.. now, that she's 12 she takes forever in the bathroom in the mornings, fixing her hair. I was happy to see her care about it.
    It works for you and your daughter - that's all that matters.
    Its different personalities.. some kids allow it and some just refuse and fuss..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 1:41 AM on May. 11, 2011

• my dd hates it when i do her hair but, i try to do it everyday. Once in a while when i am really tired i will not feel like "fighting" her about it though. Whatever works for you and your kid. Screw everyone else.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I have a son, but I still try to comb his hair every morning. He has crazy cowlicks and has terrible bedhead. If I can at least get it looking 'acceptable' I feel accomplished.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I do my daughters hair a couple of times a week. I put in either ponytails and braids or cornrows anything to make me not to have to do it so often.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:25 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Who is saying that to you!? That is terrible. You are a good mother teaching your child that hygiene matters!!! I dont do my 3 year olds hair but it is because she hates it. She is kind of a tomboy when it comes to looks. She only wants to be comfy and get dirty with the boys and I respect that as her personality (teeth brushing and such isnt optional). But if you child loves the cute hair then no one should tell you not to do it.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:45 AM on May. 11, 2011