How can i calm down my adhd child?

My four year old son,when he gets pissed, gets so out of control, its ridiculus!! The therpist said to wrap his arms around himself and hold him till he stops fighting back!!! Does anyone agree with this method, because i feel uneasy about it!! Have any of you tryed it? Did it work?

babygirl_18

Asked by babygirl_18 at 12:18 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Your therapist is right. Lots of time weight WILL help!

Some progressive therapists even have "weighted blanket" to place over a distraught child's shoulders--the blanket has little pockets with sand sewn in for weight. Some teachers know that a heavy backpack worn by hyper students will calm them down while they're sitting in their desks.

Try it before you knock it!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• If you are uncomfortable with this technique- I would discuss that with the therapist. OR, you can always consult with a different therapist on this issue as well.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:54 AM on May. 12, 2011

• How is that supposed to help? I don't know about you, but to me, it would make me even madder. What about you? Have you tried benadryl? Not on a regular basis, but every once in a while.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:27 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Yea, see thats what i thought as well but my husband seems to think it works and that he think its okay. My mom says to give him cough medicine but i dont think i could live with myself personally doing that idk why i just couldnt. im looking more of what to say or do with him instead against him any ideas there?
    babygirl_18

Comment by babygirl_18 (original poster) at 12:35 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I know it frequently helps with autistic kids. Do it lovingly and whisper soothing words to him, don't make him feel he is being restrained.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:27 AM on May. 11, 2011

• It can be a good way to calm a kid down. You could also try taking his hands and helping him to clap as some kids respond to rhythm. If your son also has sensory issues, holding him might cause things to escalate. Hasthe therapist noticed SID issues with your son?  DD has ADHD and SID (as well as a bunch of other things going on).  Holding her makes things worse.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:56 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My son had adhd and i have never heard of this but he does like to be hugged alot so maybe it would help. Idk
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 11:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My child had adhd and I think that would make it worse. When he is having a bad fit he has to go to his room until he calms down. If he throws things around or makes a mess he has to clean it up before he's allowed to join the rest of the family.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 1:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would not give benadryl to my kid, it hypes him up and keeps him awake allllll night.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 3:16 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks you all!! My husband has tryed this restraining method and it seemed to work but i just feel like its disrespectful to him. He is being disrespectful but we are supposed to disrespect back? that s kind of my logic. the time out doesnt work, if i can get him to stay in time out he comes straight back out and goes on a pissed rampage when he cant have something esle again. His doctors have set up a diagnoses appointment in june but they agree he has adhd so maybe there are more problems and we will find out!! I have found hugging does work but in that situation i feel like he is getting away with what he did..like spit on people and stealing and not sharing or not listening or run in the street and sit down in the middle of it. ughhh you guys i am just so tired and strung to the point of laziness i dont know what esle to do i feel so bad for my little boy because it always seems he is soooo stressed out.
    babygirl_18

Comment by babygirl_18 (original poster) at 9:00 PM on May. 11, 2011