Has anyone here had gastric bypass?

Did you have a positive experience? Would you do it again knowing what you know now?

jspencer1014

Asked by jspencer1014 at 12:25 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• My mother had gastric bypass and she has nothing but good things to say about it....of course there are ALOT of things she can no longer eat...mostly starches, things that swell in the stomach but she says that all the sacrafice is definatly worth it. Hope that helped =)
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:30 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I've had friend's and patients who have had it done, and I considered it when I was younger. If there's ANY way you can avoid going the surgical route, I'd recommend it. There will always be those who have been successful and those who haven't been, as with any weigh loss tool. I've started eating clean, and so far, I've lost over 60 lbs between that and exercising. I was eating HUGE portions, and exercising sporadically. But I can tell you from seeing people with various weight loss surgeries that maintaining a post-gastric bypass diet properly is much more difficult than maintaining a proper diet. I don't judge anyone who's had WLS, but I think there are a lot of healthier methods that don't require surgery that DO work long term.Have you considered meeting with a nutritionist to get some ideas about what your food intake really is and how to change it? I'd strongly recommend you do.Good luck with whichever route you choose!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:42 AM on May. 11, 2011

• In my opinion gastric is a drastic procedure. Lap-band seems to be a safer option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• i haven't but one of my friends had it and she is rapidly gaining back the weight because she didn't change her diet, she keeps on eating all the unhealthy fatty foods. she also poops a lot and has to constantly take vitamins because her body does not absorb nutrients like it did pre-surgrery.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:03 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My Dr won't do a lap band on me because of all the other medical conditions I have that are not even remotely related to the weight. The team doesn't believe that a lap band would be successful for me.
    jspencer1014

Comment by jspencer1014 (original poster) at 1:03 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I had a classic roux-n-y gastric bypass 8 years ago. Although there have been a few bumps in the road, it has overall been a very positive experience for me. My weight continues to fluctuate a little and I'm my no means skinny now, but I'm in better health, feel good, and was able to have a baby 2 years ago. The changes to eating do take some adjusting, but it has been more of an issue of timing and quantity. I later had my gall bladder out but that wasn't a big deal. The surgery is pretty drastic, but my health situation required some drastic action. I have no regrets, but it isn't for everyone. I found the website www.obesityhelp.com. to be very helpful for support both before and after my surgery.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:27 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I had it in 2006 and lost 260lbs... then I got pregnant in 2009 (I was struggling with about 20lbs that I had regained when I got pregnant and gained 60 more with the pregnancy)... I am having revision surgery next month to trim my pouch.
    Nickelodean

Answer by Nickelodean at 3:40 AM on Jul. 23, 2011