Freedom of religion, kids

A friend of mine, her son got his first Rosery. He wore it to school, under his shirt. A teacher sae it while he was playing on the playground. He didn't have it out, showing other kids.. I guess maybe he was hanging upside down on the monkey bars or something. He's in the third grade.
Anyhow, the teacher drug this kids to the offica and called his parents..
The boy was proud to wear his rosery. What does this teach him. Now?
The parents were told that no religious Anything, could be brought into this public school.
They can't even wear a small cross necklace.
I asked older kids, Jr high and they say its the same at their campus.

Really???

I understand, no preaching or bibles.. but..

My kids attend a private Catholic School - they can't wear skulls and other disturbing stuff. But that's okay, in pubilc schools.. I guess..

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 12:25 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well Bishop, take a cross and a skull and compare them.. One is full of enlightenment, life and a belief that someone has of a higher power.. it gives a person hope and a reason for being.... GOOD. A skull, fashion statement, rebellion, no belief or dream attached to it, death, etc etc.. when comparing the two i would much rather have my dd wearing a cross because of values a person learns in their beliefs rather than a skull that only shows that the only believe they have is death or to follow and fit in with everyone.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:44 AM on May. 11, 2011

• If the rule is no religious paraphernalia of any kind then it's in the handbook. The parents shouldn't have let him bring it to school. The rule is the rule, period! That being said the teacher & admin could have handled it MUCH better!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:35 AM on May. 11, 2011

• (quote: KateDinVA) "It's freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion."
    ===

That actually isn't true. It's both "freedom of" AND "freedom from" religion. The "freedom from" part means that the government cannot establish an official religion, and that concept includes any public place, including public schools - which is why there is no organized prayer, etc, in schools.

Now, that said, I think that as long as the religious imagery is not disruptive to the learning environment, it should be allowed. It is a personal statement of the student, and I don't see how it could possibly be construed as an endorsement of that religion by the school, unless they banned items from other religions.

In the situation the OP described, I wonder if something happened at that school district in the past that caused disruption and controversy, and they had to make the decision ban all religious imagery.

Let us know if you hear more.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 10:49 AM on May. 11, 2011

• "they can't wear skulls and other disturbing stuff."

What qualifies as disturbing to you? Would a pentacle be disturbing? As that is a religious icon of some people.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:36 AM on May. 11, 2011

• "religious equality does NOT mean making the Christians keep their faith at home!"

Don't you mean all religions, not just christians?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:38 AM on May. 11, 2011

• ONE NATION UNDER GOD!! And that is EXACTLY why we left England.. to practice individual religion FREELY! But, sure, take it away apparently no one else cares, why should I!

_____________________

I'm not even sure where to begin, you truly need a crash course in American History.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:20 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Are you sure that's what was told to the other parents? Seeing as this is coming from a second hand source I do have doubts. Furthermore many schoold have rules against rosaries because they can be used as a weapon and it poses a strangulation hazard to the children, both for the ones wearing it and for others should the owner of the rosary decide to use it to choke someone. They typically have rules against other such "chain" jewelry.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:47 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Honestly, I have tried 3 times to reply and that makes me so angry that I can't do it.. So i'm just going to stick with the fact that just hearing that pisses me off, let alone being the mother of the child.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:32 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Yep... its all crazy now days.... everything offends everybody, fake gold teeth offend people, girls enjoying sports, clothing, god, flags, picking your nose, eating home lunches at school.... its all something to whin about. Dont want to offend others yet its ok to OFFEND US. Make we go go a step further and build all homes out of clay dirt so that we instead of our freedom... keep from offending others.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:34 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I know different schools have different policies, but that does bug me, and I'm an atheist. I'm also against uniforms, because I think kids should be able to express themselves in harmless small ways with things they wear or how they style their hair or whatever. Personally it wouldn't bother me if someone was wearing a cross or any other religious item, so long as they weren't trying to convert or ridicule other students about their religious beliefs.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:47 AM on May. 11, 2011