HELP!! Two and Three Year old who won't sleep!

I have a two year old and a three year old who refuse to sleep at night. I even decided to cut their naps completely thinking they were getting too much sleep, but that didn't help. It is 11:30 pm right now and they are showing no signs of fatigue at all. They used to go to bed at 9 pm every night until they figured out that they weren't glued to the beds and now night time is crazy! I did manage to get them to sleep in my bed by 9 last night only to have them wake up at midnight and not go to sleep until 2:30 am. I'm 11 weeks pregnant, their dad is deployed and I need some sleep! Please help me, I'll take any suggestion you can throw at me.

JenniP0708270

Asked by JenniP0708270 at 12:35 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Warm milk or a hot bath use to work for mine.Do they sleep in the same room you can try putting them in different room until there sleeping
    3mclark

Answer by 3mclark at 12:41 AM on May. 11, 2011

• hang in there momma...they are probably going through growth sperts. My 2 y/o is still awake and its 11 40. Same situation...she went to be at 9 but all of a sudden she wouldn't go to bed. Try to "camp out" in the living room with them :) maybe that'll help
    brookenbrodyn

Answer by brookenbrodyn at 12:42 AM on May. 11, 2011

• zero caffiene at all
    water not juice
    play out wear them out- even if them carrying a backpack full of 15 lbs or so of something around the house
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:45 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I had the same problm with ds. I took him to the dr and h told me I could give him melatonin (sp) it has worked.
    kameronsmommy08

Answer by kameronsmommy08 at 12:55 AM on May. 11, 2011

• make sure you get them up at like 6am and feed them and let them play all day keep them busy try nap time at noon and only let them nap 1/2hour to an hour and then after dinner i would do baths and then try betime at 8pmn and see if that works.... this is what i do with my twins and it works for use... good luck hope this helps....
    babymama0000

Answer by babymama0000 at 12:56 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I would suggest a warm calming bubble bath with a lavender scented bubble bath, keeps the lights low in your home, not loud music or bright lights, read a couple stores and cudle with them on a couch or chair. The idea is to make bedtime calm and soothing, once you put them in bed you may need to sit in thier room for 2o minutes, i would sing nursey rymes to them and then walk out. Melatonin is also an option, it is over the counter and completly safe, 3mg should do the trick. Little kids need their sleep. Also aviod late nap times, do not let kids sleep past 3pm sothat they are ried at bettime. hope this helps.
    briansmom123

Answer by briansmom123 at 1:27 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks for all the advice. We camped out in the living room tonight and my 2 yo fell asleep at 2 am, my 3 yo crashed at 3:30 am. I'm going to pull an all niter and wake them up bright and early. If I go to sleep now I'm scared I won't wake up until noon.
    JenniP0708270

Comment by JenniP0708270 (original poster) at 4:59 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Whew! Crazy!! My husband was always home at night, but I remember some of those crazy nights, once they figured they could get out of bed! Hang in there. It will get better. Stick to it. Keep putting them to bed at 9. I would make their room as boring as possible, and dark. No toys in there at bedtime. Or too dark to play. Camp outside their room and keep putting them back in bed. With my first it took MONTHS, with my second it only took weeks, and with my 3rd it only took a few days. I think the younger ones start learning from the example of the older ones. My fourth is now in a bed, but he hasn't figured out that he can get up. :D Also, don't give them juice or desserts or sugary things after lunch. I don't know if that helps or not, but I certainly notice a difference if the kids get sugar later in the day. They drink water or white milk for dinner and then water in the evening. (mine are 5, 4, 2, and 1)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:59 AM on May. 11, 2011

• cut all sugar/chocolate/caffiene even koolaid!

see if that helps.

If mine have any of those anytime after say 4pm its hard to get them to bed. At 8 start bedtime process and go lay down with them and most nights always by 9 mine are both fast asleep.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 10:39 AM on May. 12, 2011

• my four year old has always been that way. he is mildly autistic with sensory issues and just can't sleep for more than four hours. try to get them on a schedule, and just insisit that they are quiet at the appropriate quiet times.
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 10:55 AM on May. 12, 2011