How can we get ppl to take us seriously? no bashing adult content

my girlfriend and i been together for 6 months and people like her ex husband, which is also my ex boyfriend, keep saying things like oh can i join u, and tonight this ex said that he would love to get with her again, when i said i dont like to share he said well how bout you? im so frustrated, we both told him(and other guys) that her and i are a couple and its not a sex thing. ive know her for 12 years and been good friends and been there for each other thru our pregnancies and divorces. we always had feelings for each other but didnt act on them till recently cause we were worried about what our families would say. some people think that the only reason that we are together is because we both been hurt by men, which yeah thats true but not the reason, we truly love each other and are committed to each other. why cant men see that? its like they see a challenge to turn us straight again. any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• You can't make them take you seriously. If they've got it in their heads that you're going through some sort of phase or something, they're not going to believe otherwise until time proves them wrong. And you'll only be demeaning your relationship if you continue to waste time trying to prove to others that it's real. You know it's real. You know that you two love each other and are committed to each other - so keep living that way, and eventually the people around you that are in denial will have to face the truth and accept your relationship.

If it's bothering you too much, then cut those people out of your life until they can accept your relationship. Otherwise, my response would simply be, "This is who I am with, this is who I love. Since you cannot respect our relationship, it is off limits to you as a topic of discussion." And then change the subject.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:01 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My advice is that people are going to think what they are going to think regardless of what you say or do....don't worry about what other people are thinking and just do you...enjoy your relationship...YOU know that what you and your girlfriend have is the real thing so don't even waste brain power worrying about whether other people think of you as the real thing or not. Congragulations on your relationship and finding what you really want
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:44 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I fear you may just need to wait it out, and let your relationship speak for itself over time. Some men I think find it a challenge, and they don't see how it's offensive to make jokes or propositions. I suppose you could try asking them how they'd feel if a man were to ask *their* s/o that if they were in a committed relationship, and see if maybe something dawns on them.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 12:46 AM on May. 11, 2011

• i'd say to tell them exactly what you have been and that if they dont respect the decision y'all have made as a couple, then they dont have to be in your life at all. Try to not let it get to you too much. someone will always have something to say no matter if its a good thing or bad. :) hope all works out
    brookenbrodyn

Answer by brookenbrodyn at 12:45 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Stop talking to them if they wont take you seriously. if they cant respect your relationship then you don't need them in your life.
    3mclark

Answer by 3mclark at 12:45 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I would probably say that I would let him watch us as soon as he lets me watch him make love to another man. But I am well known to not have the filter in my brain that keeps people fro saying inappropriate things! lol

jspencer1014

Answer by jspencer1014 at 12:59 AM on May. 11, 2011

• ROTFLMAO!!! @ op
    jspencer1014

Answer by jspencer1014 at 1:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Time will earn respect for your relationship but if people are disrespectful and it's getting to you don't give them the opportunity, cut them out of the picture.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 5:06 AM on May. 11, 2011

• lol jspencer i kinda did that, he said he wanted to get laid and if i knew anyone i said well my guy friend is bi and needs to get laid i can give u his number, he stopped talking to me after that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:11 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I think when people are being rude you have every right to respond the same way. Tell them off dear. And tell your ex that you know he can't satisfy you. Maybe if you tell him he was terrible and small he'll be to embarrassed to broach the subject again.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 8:48 AM on May. 11, 2011