What do you think?

So when i had my first dr appt, my doctor said i couldn't eat cold meat, unless it was heated! EWW< i've been wanting subway for a while now, will it hurt the baby?

firsttimemom733

Asked by firsttimemom733 at 12:50 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• umm...cold meat??? as in lunch meat?! Your dr is NUTS
    brookenbrodyn

Answer by brookenbrodyn at 12:53 AM on May. 11, 2011

• yeh as in lunch meat..
    firsttimemom733

Comment by firsttimemom733 (original poster) at 12:55 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Listeria is killed by pasteurization and cooking; however, in some ready-to-eat foods, such as hot dogs and deli meats, contamination may occur after factory cooking but before packaging. Unlike most bacteria, Listeria bacteria can grow and multiply in some foods in the refrigerator.
    You get listeriosis by eating food contaminated with Listeria. Babies can be born with listeriosis if their mothers eat contaminated food during pregnancy.
    ASigler86

Answer by ASigler86 at 12:57 AM on May. 11, 2011

• It's a new idea that there is bacteria in lunch meat that can cause a pregnant woman's weakened immune system to develop a virus that can be potentially harmful to a fetus. I don't know all of your medical history and stats, and I'm not a doctor, but the biggest risk is in the 1st trimester, so if you're beyond that, I'd say go for it. My daughter is two. My doctor thought the lunch meat idea was hooey and told me not to worry about it. Use your best judgment! Maybe you could ask your doctor why and see if you still care.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 12:57 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Uh, my doc told me the same thing I hadn't had subway nor any type of sandwich for a year and a half because I was also breastfeeding. Lol what a jerk.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 12:59 AM on May. 11, 2011

• yeh im in my 2nds trimester, 21 weeks today :) but yeh i know other pregnant woman eat subway, but this is my first pregnancy so i try being carful about everything! you know.
    firsttimemom733

Comment by firsttimemom733 (original poster) at 1:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

• subway will heat up some sandwichs toast them can you not eat those. I've never heard of this before
    kittylover333

Answer by kittylover333 at 9:28 AM on May. 11, 2011

• yeh my dr told me i cant eat cold meat..
    firsttimemom733

Comment by firsttimemom733 (original poster) at 11:05 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Eat whole grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits.

Lots of great ideas here:  http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/diets-for-pregnancy/

Answer by rkoloms at 8:30 PM on May. 11, 2011

• ive been told the same thing possible bacteria, just heat it for a few seconds
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:50 AM on May. 12, 2011