I need advice on work/stay at home

I have a 6 month old son and I am opposed to the idea of daycare or ANYONE for that matter- other than myself- caring for him. I really wish there was a way I could make decent money from home, because my fiance's income alone just isn't doing it for us. Does anyone have any advice? I was looking into customer service rep, but I don't know how to go about finding employment in that. Any other companies you know that you could work for from home? Any other ideas? Help!!

rcsmama

Asked by rcsmama at 12:55 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm not sire about customer service, but are you crafty?? I'm a military wife and SAHM of a beautiful 8 month baby girl, and I have recently started making and selling sun dresses, matching outfits for siblings and parents, and some great hand made kitchen gadgets. I am no professional by any means, but some of the crafts are quick and easy and It has been a nice supplement to hubby's income!
    ASigler86

Answer by ASigler86 at 1:09 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I considered that very thing! How much does that bring in?
    rcsmama

Comment by rcsmama (original poster) at 1:10 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Depending on the complexity of the item as well as how much you market yourself (and of course the demand), this past month I made around $800, which after supplies was about $550, but like I said I am just starting! :-) I feel you are only limited to how creative your mind is!! I make "family" outfits that can group girls, boys, and parents without being too flashy as well as a tote bag for the summer beach trips! :-) depending on the order, it varies from $5 (potato baking bag) to $60+ for the family outfits.
    ASigler86

Answer by ASigler86 at 1:17 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Is it hard to make clothes? I've only ever made a pillow...lol
    rcsmama

Comment by rcsmama (original poster) at 1:20 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Lol, it can be trying, especially when you have to stop in the middle of a stitch because your little one is feeling attention starved, but the way I started was went to JoAnn Fabric and picked out a few patterns that I liked grabbed a sales associate, and made them show me EXACTLY what I needed. There are always a few words that can be confusing while you are following the pattern, but that's what the Internet is for! SO many YouTube tutorials!! Lol I've gotten to the point where I use the pattern as a guideline, but make the outfits my own. The patterns will be labeled "easy" ...and so on, start with easy and see how it goes! I enjoy it mostly because I use my DD as my model, what's better than a job you can involve your LO in?! :-)
    ASigler86

Answer by ASigler86 at 1:27 AM on May. 11, 2011

• i understand how you feel. I remember crying just thinking about the fact that I had to return to work. I also looked into becoming a customer service representative, but you must have a quiet background which wasn't possible for me. I now work from home online and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3½ year old son, and 2 year old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Weekly pay! We have free training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping Families Achieve Their Goals Since 1999!
    Visit my website to get all the details.
    www.OurCEOMom.com

Get to know our team on Facebook: www.LikeInternetCEOMoms.com
    We are the largest group of Women working from Home online!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:28 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Can you work outside the home around your husband's schedule, say evenings or weekends?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• We work opposite schedules it works for us and our marriage to
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:07 AM on May. 11, 2011

• We use to be in that exact position. I was a SAHM for 2 years, tried about 6 different things and then landed something that I absolutely LOVE! We had 1 vehicle and a night shift would have worked, and weekends would have been okay if he 1 didn't work them and 2 it was the only time we could spend together as a family! So, you may or may not be interested, but I encourage you to at least check it out. You can even make enough money to where he didn't have to work after a while.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 9:41 AM on May. 11, 2011

• With customer service from home they'll still expect you to have a "quiet space" free of kids and other noises and distractions so that may not be the best option. You can look into being a google rater from home. Companies like Butler Hill, Leapforce, and Lionbridge all hire google raters to work from home. I think all of them require around 20 hours a week and you do have to pass a test before you can start working for them, but you can apply. The big thing with them is that you can only work for one of the companies at a time.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 9:54 AM on May. 11, 2011