What do you think about schools that are removing chocolate milk from the school menu because they think it's not good for them? Or do you think they are taking it a bit too far?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:11 AM on May. 11, 2011 in

• Kids love chocolate milk and I read this earlier and I believe they are being ridiculous. There are more natural alternatives if they are really that concerned.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 1:15 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I think it's doing a bit much to tell you the truth...there are so many other things we could be worrying about...let's not worry about the size of the classrooms, the teacher to student ratio, the lack of quality textbooks, the hoards of teachers molesting their students..no no....lets worry about some freaking chocolate milk...yeah, that makes sense
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:33 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I dont think its good for kids to have chocolate milk at school everyday at b/fast, but I come from a country where you dont have breakfast at school, whats wrong with regular milk? I think flavored milk or milkshakes etc is more of a treat not an every day thing, but thats just me.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:35 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I think it's a bit nuts. They should be working on making the overall lunch healthier, not just removing one little thing. In grade school and middle school, we had pretty healthy lunches. Granted, it was still your choice whether or not you ate everything and got the full healthy meal, but most kids did. And most of us went for seconds too!

Then they'd let us all outside to run and play
    Uhura

Answer by Uhura at 1:45 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I think it's crazy to let kids have chocolate milk at every single school meal. Too much sugar. I'm fine with my child having it a couple of times a week though.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:49 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I think schools are going a bit crazy. An unhealthy eater isn't going to change because of chocolate milk or them taking all their snacks away. They will just go home and gorge themselves anyways or buy it after school at a local store. Instead they should teach nutrition and physical fitness. I am happy they are making school lunches healthier but parents need to do their part and not have their child in front of the tv/computer for 8 hrs a day. Parents need to make healthy choices too, I'm not against a snack or treat here and there but some kids are living off potato chips and soda, it's sad....

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:39 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Milk (chocolate or plain) is not the health food it's made out to be so I'd be glad to see it all go; we don't drink milk in our household BUT obviously thousands upon thousands of kids do in our school system. I don't think chocolate milk is a good idea; the average American kid already gets too much sugar and crap in their diet, they don't need anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My son generally eats well, but he is picky. He hates plain milk but loves chocolate milk, so we let him have it. This started on the recommendation of his pediatrician when he wouldn't drink milk after being BF for 20 months. In any case, not serving it isn't going to substantially change any child's eating habits - if they're bad, they're going to continue to be bad. I'm much more concerned about hidden sugar, high fat and completely empty calories. I work at my son's school and I can't tell you how many cartons of plain milk I see go into the garbage unopened. Is it better for the kids not to get calcium and protein at all or to get some sugar while drinking chocolate milk? Non-milk drinkers, no response necessary.

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:14 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I appreciate it.
    My child didnt' even like chocolate milk until she started kindergarten, now that is all she drinks for lunch instead of water. *facepalm* There is no need for it.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:17 AM on May. 11, 2011

• It's overboard.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:07 AM on May. 11, 2011