Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Wedding question

Can I go to the court house with my fiance and get the marriage license signed and paid for, and filed and then be legally married? If so, then it really shouldn't matter who doses the ceremony right? Because we would already be married..

Answer Question

Asked by Micki-Cook at 1:49 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Relationships

Level 8 (252 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • they don't sign it there unless you appear before a judge but you can get the license and have an ordained person do the ceremony, but yes you can have anyone do a ceremony after you're already married at the courthouse

    Answer by angevil53 at 1:55 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • Whom ever preforms the cerimoney will sign the license. After that you can have all the mock weddings you want, by anyone willing to say the words. Cuz legaly, you'll be married once the license is offically signed by a judge or religious officator.

    Answer by SassySue123 at 2:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • somebody has to do the actual ceremony be paid and once the license is sign then you are legally married. judge, justiceof the piece, preacher.. wedding chapels etc. Not sure where you are. but it all can be done in the same day. just pay for the license, filing fee,and person to preform ceremony. Congrats

    Answer by kkbird at 2:02 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • If you have a courthouse wedding the judge will do a quick ceremony and sign the papers. After that you're already married so if you choose to have a ceremony then no it wouldn't matter who does it. If it's a religious person just make you they are aware of the situation since technically you will already be married and some religious people may care.

    Answer by Ashes0813 at 4:05 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • When you first originally go to the court house to get the license.... it gets you ready to be married. There is a waiting period.... or you have within so many days to get married. But after you have that license, you can make appt to be married at courthouse to be married by a judge. After that and you want to have something for family sake, then yes.... anyone could technically marry you, but like Ashes0813 said, let that person/officiant know. Some pastors, preachers, priests will not marry if you've already or are married at the time.

    Answer by MrsDAP at 7:34 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • if you want to be certain either way, you could have whoever is doing the ceremony get ordained on the internet. The woman that married us was ordained that way and it's all legal.

    Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • We got ours waited 3 days and then went back and got married by the judge

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • depending on where you live you can get it all done in one day...but some places make you wait at least 3days....but yeah just about any ordained person can sign it.....

    Answer by cara124 at 10:02 AM on May. 11, 2011

  • i got married at the court house.. the probate judge marries u and everything is done right there and u will have everything when u leave..

    Answer by 1melmel1 at 12:19 PM on May. 11, 2011

  • I live in Nevada ,anyone from Reno?

    Comment by Micki-Cook (original poster) at 8:21 PM on May. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.