Mommas with uncirc'd boys, please help! adult content

Hey there my son is almost 2 and he is not circumcised. This is a bit strange, but how do I tell if it is considered "normal" or not? Idk, to me it just seems like it looks weird, or different. It doesn't look like he has a head. I haven't tried pulling back the forskin though, I'm not sure when you are supposed to start doing that. I'm not saying I am intentionally looking but when I change his diapers and stuff you know. How can I tell if it is developing normally? Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have twin sons w/ intact penises/aren't circumcised. The information NOT to pull back the foreskin is accurate. Here is why:

The foreskin is adhered to the glans (the glans is the "head" of the penis that you are talking about....it's what's permanently exposed or externalized when a penis is circumcised) during infancy. This keeps an intact penis safe & clean for a baby, because the foreskin is FUSED (it CAN'T be pulled back without tearing & hurting) so that diaper debris doesn't get into it. You literally can clean the penis like you would a finger, just wipe it down externally. You don't pull back the skin. The only opening is the sphincter at the tip, which contracts closed after he urinates. The urine comes out of his urethra at the tip of the glans, and pushes through the foreskin. The swirling action of the urine would remove anything that managed to work its way in through the sphincter (& urine is sterile.) You
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:56 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Do NOT forcefully pull the skin back. NEVER, NEVER do that! The foreskin will retract on its own when ready. The saying is "only clean what is seen" when it comes to that department.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:08 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Letting the child's penis soak in water will suffice. Around the age of 5, if the child is able to comfortably retract the foreskin on his own, then teach the child how to retract and clean. Until then, soaking is the best method of cleaning.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:21 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I do what my boys Doctor says and clean around the penis and I do not pull it back. My kids has never had an infection either. Just talk to your babies Doctor on the safe side.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:22 AM on May. 11, 2011

• It is truly amazing how many people are providing the wrong information. You do NOT pull the skin back until much older.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:16 AM on May. 11, 2011

• The proper care is to not pull the skin back. Every knowledgeable doctor will tell you that. Forcing the skin back at such a young age can cause harm to the child's penis. Around 5 is the average age when the foreskin will begin to separate. If the child can retract his own foreskin comfortably, then it is time to retract and clean. Until then, soaking and using q-tips occasionally will suffice.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:26 AM on May. 11, 2011

• http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler/grooming/toddler-penis-care.aspx

Don’t do anything special to an uncircumcised toddler penis. You don’t need to retract the foreskin to wash your child’s uncircumcised penis — and whatever you do, don’t force it back. Later on, when the foreskin naturally separates from the tip of your toddler’s penis (which could happen as early as age five), you can teach your tot how to clean beneath the foreskin, but for now washing his entire penis with soap and water will do. Is there cheesy-looking stuff under his foreskin? Don’t worry, it’s normal — it’s the residue from cells that the body sheds as the foreskin and glans begin to separate.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:13 AM on May. 11, 2011

• xx is correct. Do not ever forcibly retract the foreskin. It is fused to the glans of the penis at birth, and it will retract as the child grows, naturally. Retracting it before it is ready causes tears and damage, and leads to increased risk of infection. Smegma does not build up because it is fused. It is only once it has naturally retracted that it needs to be gently cleaned.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 2:23 AM on May. 11, 2011

• SMITxsM2, it makes perfect sense. The foreskin is fused to the penis. Forcing that foreskin back will cause damage to the child's penis.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:27 AM on May. 11, 2011

• it will look different, but YOU DO HAVE TO PULLS BACK THE SKIN. should be each time you change him. bath time pull it back and wash, rinse really good. pee can sit inside the skin and cause a BADDDDDDDD infection. Clean it well. for rashes diaper,use crisco lard(blue can) works the best!!!! DOESNT BURN and coats the area keeping wetness off of it yet allows area to breath to heal. ER DR gave me that advice, and used it on both mine... see a little redness, apply this and the next time it should be almost cleared. red to pink after 1 application for me and the 2nd time it was almost completely gone. ( and did I meantion no burning.) gl
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:10 AM on May. 11, 2011