When pouring pills from a bottle, do you put them in your hand or elsewhere?

I shake the bottle in my hand and if there are extras, I put them back in the bottle. I didn't think anything of it. My BIL saw this and flipped out on me (at least he now carries his own tylenol bottle with him). When I had a headache at his place, he poured it into the cap of the pill bottle and tweezed the pills out so he can put the rest back. My guess is germs...but never saw that before. Maybe it's a normal thing. Maybe it goes up there with "Does soap wash itself?" lol

Do you shake the pills into your hand or elsewhere when in use? Do you put the pills back into the container or do you discard them if they've touched your hand?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 2:52 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Health

• I've never pondered this before. I do what you do, and I have a mild issue with germs, myself.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 2:54 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I pour them out in my hand, I never really thought about germs
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:54 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Wow, can u say a lil ocd but I heard germs don't get attached to things right away they actually have to be in contact with the surface for sometime before bacteria forms .I pour them in my hand shoot em back into the bottle.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 3:02 AM on May. 11, 2011

• LOL!!! One of my uncles is OCD and freaks out if you come near anything of his. So, considering I pretty much analyze everything, I have actually thought about this before. But I'm not really a germophobe, for me it's more of a curtesy for others that I'm always careful to try to only shake out one or two pills at a time so that I only touch what I take.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I wash my hands before taking my meds, and shake them out in my hand. Any extras I put back in the bottle. I never really thought about the germ factor in touching and putting the extra pills back.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:47 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I put them in my hand. I usually try not to use anyone else's meds, not even Tylenol
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:35 PM on May. 11, 2011