WASHING OUT

OK SO I KNOW YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO DOUCHE WHILE PREGNANT BUT I WONDERED IF WATER PRESSURE ITSELF IS BAD,
WE HAVE A HAD HELD SHOWER HEAD AND I USUALLY WOULD WASH WITH SOAP AND RINSE OUT WITH THE BLAST OF THE WATER. IS THIS BAD TTO DO WHILE PREGNANT? I HAVE AVOIDED IT BUT AM 8 MONTHS AND JUST WONDERING?

ALSO, HOW LONG AFTER THE BIRTH DO YOU WAIT TO DOUCHE?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 2:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You just don't want air to get into your vagina thats why the obgyn says don't let your SO blow on your vagina during oral while pregnant. But I also don't think its a good idea to be blasting anything including water near/in your vagina- just rinse normally. I think after your 6 week post birth check up you can get the ok to douche again.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I don't think water is harmful. I think the douche is harmful because it disrupts the normal balance of bacteria. I would say you want to wait a while after birth too. If you have a vaginal birth, you probably won't want ANYTHING up there for a while..
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• doucheing in general is bad just for your further knowledge but you probably dont wana force water into the vagina with the shower head either though just in case. and as far as after delivery atleast till your 6wk check up to make sure everything is healing well.
    Anonymous

• No, you're not supposed to douche, even with water. It can cause an air bubble to get stuck up there and cause problems. After birth, I would assume it would be a 6 wk wait just like for anything else to give yourself time to heal. But your doctor will tell you after delivery how long to wait to do all that stuff
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No the blast of water from the shower head is not a problem...
    Anonymous