Why can't i be passionate about something outside of housewife/sahm tasks?

on the rare occasions that I am not doing something related to being a housewife/sahm and I actually have some "do whatever I want" time...I don't konw what to do! It is like other than my mom/wife stuff, I don't have a life. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy taking care of my family so Im not complaining about those tasks...I just would like to have something for me personally, but nothing keeps my attention. I used to be in bands, wrote music etc...I have music equipment, but I have not been able to actually write a song in years, I lose attention quick. I like creativity and have things like a good sewing machine, part of me wants to make clothes, but then I sit and stare at fabric and draw a blank...I used to be really creative but somehow its like I have writers block except in a massive form known as creativity block for anything related to just myself. I can come up with creative ideas for crafts with my daughter, but when it comes to "me time"..I draw a blank or on the rare occasion I do come up with something, it is way too elaborate and difficult for my level of sewing or my level of musicianship. I did belly dancing for a year, even did a couple live shows with friends...moved away from their and their are no schools in my local area for that, and I jus tlost interest in that to..I know I would do it again if I was back in that area with the weekly clases but here, don't have access to anything like that. I just want a hobby that is my own...something I do for me when I get time to myself, but nothing holds my attention for more than a week. My hubby is passionate about gaming, he will play for hours sometimes, does tournaments..he loves it. I want something I can be that excited about and into as well. The closest thing I have is my dedication to my college, but that is still work hehe. Did you find after being a SAHM for years this happened to you? Why doesn't anything hold my interest past a couple weeks and how did you break this?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 3:39 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I wish I knew, I am in the same boat as you are.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 7:20 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Ha! I don't think much has ever held my attention for longer than a couple weeks, so I have quit trying. I buy a small project to do and do it. I painted and re-purposed several pieces of furniture to use in my daughters' play room over the summer...painted our bedroom...made some wall art with scraps of fabric and old picture frames, decided I was going to make a douvet (sp) cover for our bed. I could never stick with one thing longer than it takes to finish it.

I also don't think that school is a bad "hobby". I don't ever see a time when I will not be taking a class of some sort.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:35 AM on May. 11, 2011

• This sounds like a conversation I have had with my dh A LOT!! I too am a sahm, with little me time. I used to be very crafty, but over the years, I rarely do anything. I am just drained after caring for two kids, keeping a house up, etc. My ability to focus is gone, and I just don't get excited over crafting like I used to. I think stress has affected me too. Everytime I go to craft stores, I buy stuff with good intentions, then once home it goes into a box. Every so often I get the stuff out and just look at it!! I feel like I am wasting my talents, but just can't get myself going. My family is very supportive to me, I get encouraged all the time. I am hoping that when my youngest starts school (he is now 2 1/2) that I will have a quiet house and all day to focus on me and being creative once again. Good luck to you!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:33 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I feel the same. If you don't make a plan for me time then it becomes "what do I do now" time lol

I usually get interested in holiday projects. I decorate wreaths at Christmas. I might make a table runner for Thanksgiving.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:18 AM on May. 12, 2011

• sounds just like me I do have some hobbies that I enjoy doing though--like reading, swimming, nature walks, gardening, fishing, and just spending down time by myself
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:07 AM on May. 19, 2011