Why can't i be passionate about anything other than housewife/sahm tasks?

was not sure where to put this question cause it is kinda like hobbies/crafts but those are usually questions aout how to make something or sell on etsy.. its also about day to day life and the relationship i have with myself and how my family relationships as a sahm have changed me a lil....so dont hate if you don't think it should be posted here :-)

on the rare occasions that I am not doing something related to being a housewife/sahm and I actually have some "do whatever I want" time...I don't konw what to do! It is like other than my mom/wife stuff, I don't have a life. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy taking care of my family so Im not complaining about those tasks...I just would like to have something for me personally, but nothing keeps my attention. I used to be in bands, wrote music etc...I have music equipment, but I have not been able to actually write a song in years, I lose attention quick. I like creativity and have things like a good sewing machine, part of me wants to make clothes, but then I sit and stare at fabric and draw a blank...I used to be really creative but somehow its like I have writers block except in a massive form known as creativity block for anything related to just myself. I can come up with creative ideas for crafts with my daughter, but when it comes to "me time"..I draw a blank or on the rare occasion I do come up with something, it is way too elaborate and difficult for my level of sewing or my level of musicianship. I did belly dancing for a year, even did a couple live shows with friends...moved away from their and their are no schools in my local area for that, and I jus tlost interest in that to..I know I would do it again if I was back in that area with the weekly clases but here, don't have access to anything like that. I just want a hobby that is my own...something I do for me when I get time to myself, but nothing holds my attention for more than a week. My hubby is passionate about gaming, he will play for hours sometimes, does tournaments..he loves it. I want something I can be that excited about and into as well. The closest thing I have is my dedication to my college, but that is still work hehe. Did you find after being a SAHM for years this happened to you? Why doesn't anything hold my interest past a couple weeks and how did you break this?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 3:43 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• Maybe you should find your passion and figure what you want to do did you want to do anything when you were in school? If you can figure out something maybe even take some online classes in something you might be interested in?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

• How old are your children? Usually SAHMs feel this way when they transition from being single, holding a job and childless. I don't why but we humans love the routine. Why do you think it is soooo easy to hold a job. I worked for 6 for the same employer and I got used to the sameness. I was hard for me having to leave my independence to take of my dh and children. One of my children has a disability. So in some way you should fell lucky that you have so much creativity to share with your children. Think that the best teacher out there for your children is you. Once they enter school you can have more "organized" free time for yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 AM on May. 11, 2011

• You need to find your passion. That may be daunting to figure out but try to answer this question ... what activity do you absolutely lose yourself in? The one that when you look up at the clock and realize several hours have gone by yet it's only felt like several minutes? Are there charitable corporations you're passionate about? Do you like to exercise? Read? Write? The answer(s) will come to you if you do a little soul searching. Best of luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I am an artist, and I have experienced some creative blocks. Yours sounds like a big one. For a normal block, I might suggest taking a break, going to a museum, or hanging out with like minded people. For big blocks that doesn't really help. You have to get to the source of the problem. For me it's usually somthing going wrong in my life that causes this. Somthing serious, like a death in the family or my abusive relationship with my ex husband. In those situations I have to own up to my feelings. The block will not break until I use my creative ability to express the feelings I've been avoiding. I hope that helps, good luck.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 8:18 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I keep several projects going at once, that way when I get bored or tired of working on one, I can switch to the other and pick back up on the first whenever I'm feeling bored of the 2nd one. I do quilting by hand, crocheting, writing, reading, cross stitch, plastic canvas, gardening indoors and out, and finding new ways to homestead- I have chickens now, and several garden plots for food, and I'm looking into building a greenhouse and using only 'green' heat and cooling.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:28 AM on May. 11, 2011

• great question!! I was just thinking that...I am stuck and down. trying to get out of depression!!!
    Good luck to you!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 10:46 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I'm not a SAHM and I work full time - plus have a teenage daughter. I am an artist which I do as a full time job as a graphic designer/illustrator. (However, doing it for a paycheck is NOT the same thing as being creative for yourself.) Anyway, I'd love to do painting and drawing in my free time. My husband even helped me set up a super nice studio for that. But I'm having a hard time getting the right amount of quality time to do this. I'll find I have a free hour here or there. But that is not enough time to delve into a project and free my mind for what I really want to do (then I don't get a free moment again for like 2 weeks). It's this pressure to be creative in little random spurts which does not work for me. Maybe you are having the same situation where you have an hour or so of free time - but WHAT can you do that is creative in one hour if you don't have a plan or a structured body of free time.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 11:53 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I have been a sahm for many years and have no idea what to do with free time other then the internet. I have no life either. I am pretty much feeling the same way. I live in a rural area where people are closed off and clicky, if you weren't born here they want nothing to do with you. my husband is active and does all sorts of things but h is thing is not my thing. He bought me a sewing machine and i was thrilled at the idea of making quilts and other things but lost interest trying to thread a bobbin. I feel like a louse most days because people my age usually are doing a million things in their spare time and I have no ideas or interests. Well I do volunteer for a local thrift store and the people I work with all play cards together but they exclude me because they are much older and are retired.
    It was not hard to fall into this slump but getting myself out of it and "finding myself" is harder then I thought it would be.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:37 PM on May. 11, 2011