What do you make of the argument that gender is nothing but a social construct? Do you think masculinity/femininity come in part from genetic differences between the sexes or not at all?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 6:09 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that gender stereotypes (boys like trucks girls like dolls) are social, rather than inborn. Although being the parent of a boy who I have never forced to act "masculine" he does prefer "boy" toys- guns and trucks, but also gender neutral toys- blocks, legos, balls. I as a child hated girl toys and preferred boy toys. I think it can be from genetic differences- boys and girls are not the same! I also believe nurture can play a part in gender identity. When it comes down to it people need to realize that girls and boys ARE biologically different, that doesn't mean they need to fit into a stereotype of 'boy' or 'girl' it simply means we can't be surprised or angry when they do, or don't for that matter.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:43 AM on May. 11, 2011

• It's true. It is the sociological and psychological stance on gender. It is probably anthropology's as well. Society dictates what is considered masculine and feminine. This is why some societies raise(d) males to be loving and nurturing and they were 'naturally'. Some societies accepted MTF individuals by allowing them to 'naturally' switch to the traditionally female role because that is what they fit into. There was no argument about it and no judging it. After puberty the male was considered female and took on the role of a woman including taking a husband.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:08 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I think we are all hard wired genetically to be either "masculine" or "feminine." Our species requires both for success. Sometimes I think the wiring is "skewed"...not wrong or defective, but skewed and this is where we see the differences. I also think a child's natural quest for independence plays a role..I was raised in a girly girl house by a girly girl Mom...one of my sisters was a tomboy and she and my Mom struggled some...by the time she finished college she was more girly girl than the rest of us put together!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:05 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Anthropologically gender is strictly a social/cultural construct. One of the first gender issues you will learn. Along with the speech communities associated with gender. Sex is biological, MOST of the time a human has one type of plumbing or the other.

The genetic influences,IMO, would come from the biological differences (strength, child bearing, musculature) like the voice pitch differences. gender is learned, even if subconsciously.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:07 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I think it is a social construct. There is more variations within a gender than between genders, statistically. I don't get hung up on it too much...my girls are the type that love to wear dresses while playing outside. I have always provided a range of toys, my youngest loves her matchbox cars, my older girl loves blocks and puzzles, and they both like playing with their babies and house stuff. I try to let them lead and not push towards anything.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:46 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Like everything in the human order, if it can be done it can be overdone. Barbie and Ken are absurd, IMHO.

I think females are inherantly more tolerant of their offspring to ensure survival of the species. I think instinctively males are protective of the females for the same reason. Obviously the physically stronger will be most likely to hunt, the weaker to gather.

There are anomolies in all species, however.

IMHO, we are no different than any other species in the animal kingdom of today as it relates to gender.
    Staceyj740

Answer by Staceyj740 at 12:18 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Depends on the hard wiring ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:07 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I thinka majority of it is genetic. I have no other explanation as to why my 1yo DD loves to play with baby dolls, puts teething rings on here wrists pretending they are brackets (I do not wear jewelry), and refuses to play with cars and trucks.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:39 AM on May. 12, 2011