"I got this disease because students are not being vaccinating" says a teacher. Are we putting at risk the rest of the population for not vaccinating our children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My unvaccinated child has never made anyone sick. He was exposed to whooping cough by a vaccinated child thankfully my son didn't get it. My son had a reaction to his vaccinations that was severe not going to risk his life to make anyone feel better. If my sons teacher was freaking out over my son not being vaccinated I wouldn't want him in their class anyone. I wouldn't want my child to be taught by such an ignorant person.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 12:27 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I vaccinate my children like clockwork
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:05 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes, those who opt out of vaccinations put everyone else at risk. There are children at my son's school who cannot be vaccinated because of health issues, and they are put at increased risk by those who choose not to vaccinate.

People who don't vaccinate are comfortable relying on their children's natural immunity only because the majority vaccinate and the odds of their children catching a life-threatening illness are small. If small pox, polio or measles were rampant, they'd probably feel very differently - but none are widespread in our country because the majority are vaccinated.

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes!! What about the little babies that are too young to get vaccines and then an older child that hasnt been vacc. comes in contace with the baby and then the baby dies. I've heard about these stories in the news and it could be prevented if people would start getting their children their shots.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I volunteer in my daughter's school and somehow contracted whooping cough this winter. I had to stay out because adults who didn't have a booster (like me, I wasn't told by my doctor to get one) or nonvaxed kids wouldn't get it. With that disease you are still contagious for 5 days AFTER your given antibiotics. I was so grateful that my daughter was vaxed against it and didn't have to suffer through it or miss all of those school days.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:06 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Vaccines can wear off after time- hence why we vaccinate children. If ALL, or at least 95% of the population is vaccinated the diseases can't spread- if a child contracts a disease and spreads it to those whose vaccines have worn off, then they spread it to babies or other adults who are no longer immune you soon have an outbreak. I vaccinate my child on a modified schedule, simply because I don't like all that in their tiny bodies as babies- but my child is caught up by the time they start preschool or come in contact with other children on a daily basis.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:37 AM on May. 11, 2011

• People need to vaccinate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Has anyone here ever seen the ingredients list of what's in vaccines, as per the CDC? Perhaps if they stopped putting poisons in vaccinations, people who don't vaccinate actually would. You can not get your health from a needle and let's be realistic, if vaccinations are supposed to be so effective and great, why do so many freak out when someone goes UNvaccinated?
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 11:44 AM on May. 11, 2011

• **contact
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Immunity is not always 100% from any one vaccine. The "herd immunity" is supposed to take care of the remaining risk (I can't remember the overall population needed for that, somewhere in the 80-90% range). And that is what she is claiming is missing.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:21 AM on May. 11, 2011