I am going round and round with my son, a high school freshman, about homework. I don't know what to do!

He says he doesn't care about school. It isn't a social problem as he has lots of friends and is on the football team. It is purely about school work. I have tried the carrot (xbox games) and the stick (grounding) and am tired of arguing. Any advice would be appreciated.

katieik

Asked by katieik at 2:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Ask him what he wants to do about it and why he feels that way.

If he doesnt like school you cant force him.

My brother ended up quitting at 15 because he couldnt stand it and got qualifications from home.

Not saying thats the solution but you should ask your son what he wants etc. so you can come to an agreement or decision between you two that works.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Have you ever explored learning disabilities? My nephew was the same way In 10th grade they discovered he was Dyslexic. After he learned some new tools school was not an issue again. I tried not to argue with my kids, it's hard, but it is truly useless. You start it and they just shut down. Stick to your guns though. No vidoe, no computer, no cell phone, no drivers permit...whatever it takes. Football is over here...so you can't use the eligibilty threat unless he does all season sports.Refuse to yell and argue. Just point blank. say "your grades must be XYZ or the consequences will be ABC" Don't threaten to do something you won't really do. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• You said that he is on the football team so does he keep his grades and homework up during season then let it go after the season's over? I would try saying to him these will be the consequences if you are failing classes at the next report card and I am not going to hound you about it. It was awful but we had to do that on semester for my son and when the report card came and his grades sucked everything was gone- friends, tv, cell phone, video games and computer until 5 week report came. He gave us the "i dont care" attitude, but his grades came up.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• In the school districts in the state where I live, a teenager who gets bad grades will not be allowed to play on a sports team... Is the district where you live like that? If he gets bad grades and wants to play sports, he may make the decision to do his homework so he can play on the team. Get in contact with his coach. Maybe they can be of some help and get your son to do that much dreaded homework... Good Luck!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 4:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Since he is on the football team, tell him that if he doesn't get his grades up, no more football. At my school, it is required to have a 3.0 GPA in order to do extra corricular activities.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2008