Do you really thnk you can stop her from wearing that?

I was reading a post on here about a 17 year old wearing an inappropriate dress to a party. One of the comments stuck me kind of odd. It was something along the lines of "So do any of you actually think you can stop your 17 year old from wearing that?"

Now, when I was 17 I didn't have any inclination to wear something so scanty, but I'm pretty sure if I did my parents would have put their foot down. I might have thought they were mean, or lame, or the most awful parents in the world, but I certainly wouldn't have been wearing a suggestive dress, even if I had bought it with my own money.

Is it a respect issue? What's your take on the situation? How would you handle your child in this situation and would you expect your child to do as you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I can burn the dress. That would stop her from wearing it.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 10:38 AM on May. 11, 2011

• LOL if she wants to go to the party she will dress the way she was raised to dress. At 17 she is still not an adult and will still follow house rules. For those that say "do you think you can stop her from wearing it" You are darn straight I can, I am the mother therefore if she bought it on her own she would be taking it back with me...seriously...wth, she's a kid and you are still a disciplinary until she turns 18 AND/or moves out. Absolutely amazing that people think like that, no wonder there are so many juvenile delinquents.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:37 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Sorry, but at 17 you are not an adult. There are some 17 year olds who are very mature and capable of handling a lot, but I don't know too many people who felt that they made great decisions at 17. I know there are a lot of young moms here who handle a lot more than most their age, but they're the exceptions.

All I can say is that if I had tried to wear something my parents considered totally inappropriate, they wouldn't have let me go out at all. I was living in their house, driving a car they paid for (although I had to help pay for the insurance - not because they couldn't afford it, but so I would understand that driving is a privilege) and even if I had bought the dress myself. And they would have explained why they didn't want me to wear it. I think it is a matter of respect and of instilling self-respect in the child.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:44 AM on May. 11, 2011

• i didn't see the original post, so i don't know how revealing the dress is. if it were just too short i would ask that she put leggings on or change it. if she insisted on leaving and showing her goods to the world, she wouldn't be allowed to leave unless she did something about that dress. sorry, my house my rules and at 17 i still call the shots. i never wore anything questionable when i was a teen, i had this thing called self-respect and i also would've respected my parents' wishes.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:37 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I would expect her to be mad but if I thought it was that bad I would make her change, my house my rules
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 7:32 AM on May. 11, 2011

• how is 17 legal age? can she move out and sign her own apartment lease?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:38 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I think the poster had a point. She could have easily hid it in her purse or given it to someone to give it to her at the party and changed there. When a kid (or anybody else, for that matter) really wants something, they'll find any way they can to get it or do it.

If the kid has been raised properly and with respect however, I agree that she'd probably just get mad and sulk awhile and then find something else to wear. I have boys, but yes I do expect them to do as I say (and as I do, so I check myself all the time to make sure my walk and talk are matching LOL)
    ellemenope

Answer by ellemenope at 7:46 AM on May. 11, 2011

• That's where all those years of parenting come into play. Did you raise her to respect your wishes. Raise her to have better value in herself.
    She is 17 and legal age, it'll all come out, as to how she was raise and how she faces the world on her own...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:37 AM on May. 11, 2011

• So basically what some people on here are saying is that you can get married at 16 and start a family, but you cannot wear what you want to!?

who the hell in this thread said anything about getting married and starting a family at 16?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:52 AM on May. 11, 2011

• As a mom with a 17 DD and as a former 17 yr it all comes down to respect. There were a lot of battles over clothing with my DD when she was younger over what was acceptable. We have discussions, I will point out people in public that are not dressed appropriately. Now she points them out. She is not perfect nor am I.

I do not believe that just because someone is almost an adult that they have full run of things. This is still my home and rules. I still have 2 minors living her that are influenced by the the "adults" actions. If she should choose to sneak then so be it, you can't stop that. But, I see nothing wrong with setting boundaries. I am very surprised by all the mom's that so easily say "They are almost an adult let them do what they want".
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:36 AM on May. 11, 2011