I changed the litter box...yikes!

My dh and I have been ttc for almost a year and about two months ago, just after my last period, I had a pap smear and found out I may have a hard time getting pregnant. Last month my normally outdoor cat was hit by a car (he survived) and so I kept him inside and set up a box for him. I cleaned it twice and once got a tiny bit of feces on my finger. Needless to say I washed my hands but I just found out I'm pregnant this morning. What are the risks to my baby assuming I've been pregnant and changing the box?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am sure you will be fine as long as you didn't have any cuts, was inhaling the stuff, and washedyour hands right away.
    But you should hve someone else do it if you an.
    When I was preggo it never got cleaned unless I did it... so I did, and I was fine, but I wouldn't recommend it
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:55 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks ladies. The Internet has too much negative information so I thought I'd ask you all. The last time I cleaned his box was on Sunday and he hopefully won't need one again for a long time...it's only used in case of emergencies and he's better now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:06 AM on May. 11, 2011

• you shouldn't change the box anymore at all have someone else do it. Changing the litter box can expose you to a parasite called toxoplasma gondii (toxo). If a pregnant woman touches cat feces that contain toxo, she could become infected and pass it along to her baby. Babies in the womb are more vulnerable to certain infections, and they depend on mothers to protect them. So the litter box is one chore that should definitely be delegated during pregnancy.
    LaurenC.

Answer by LaurenC. at 8:06 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I'm sure you are fine. Just have your hub do the box from now on. But if he's like mine, that will be like trying to pull teeth, so if you have to changes just do what I did in my ultra paranoid pregnancy state. I wore gloves and a mask lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:14 AM on May. 11, 2011

• im 16 weeks pregnant and STILL changing my cat litter box ITS FINE! I was sooo worried in the beginnginng this is my first baby and people kept saying oh dont change it blah blah its nonsense i do suggest going to walmart and buy a mask from the pharmacy the good strong kind like 4 bucks for two and i reuse the mask and until my second trimester i wore gloves and wash my hands afterwards so as long as your safe like that your fine my dr said that to dont let people scare you ecspecially if you been around cats for awahile me and my dh tried so hard for this baby and i was and still am scared of everything but not of changing the litter :)
    mrsejaney

Answer by mrsejaney at 9:13 PM on May. 11, 2011