I changed the litter box...yikes! (piog)

My dh and I have been ttc for almost a year and about two months ago, just after my last period, I had a pap smear and found out I may have a hard time getting pregnant. Last month my normally outdoor cat was hit by a car (he survived) and so I kept him inside and set up a box for him. I cleaned it twice and once got a tiny bit of feces on my finger. Needless to say I washed my hands but I just found out I'm pregnant this morning. What are the risks to my baby assuming I've been pregnant and changing the box?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I would say there are no risks. I changed the litter box when I was pregnant.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

• http://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-change-the-cats-litter-box-when-im-pregnant_1246885.bc
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:01 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I'm sure u r fine just wear non latex gloves everytime u change it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:01 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks ladies. The Internet has too much negative information so I thought I'd ask you all. The last time I cleaned his box was on Sunday and he hopefully won't need one again for a long time...it's only used in case of emergencies and he's better now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:04 AM on May. 11, 2011

• If you've had cats for any length of time the chances are you've already had, and defeated, the virus that people associate with harm to the fetus. It's really only people who encounter cats when pregnant, who haven't had them before, that are at risk. You should be fine. However, (because you can ;o) ...) you should have hubby change the box for the rest of your pregnancy.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 8:17 AM on May. 11, 2011

• dont think u will have a problem with changing kitty litter
    1melmel1

Answer by 1melmel1 at 11:42 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My Dr told me to wear gloves...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 12:01 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I have no choice but to clean the litter boxes during pregnancy (dh is deployed), I wear rubber gloves and a mask and wash the gloves and my hands after doing it. Then I spray lysol. You should be alright.
    averyswifeliz

Answer by averyswifeliz at 3:50 PM on May. 15, 2011

• i found out i was pregnant with DD when i was 11 weeks and changed out cat litter box everyday up until we found out i was pregnant then my husband took over but my daughter was fine never had any problem from cat litter
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 4:09 AM on May. 18, 2011