Which of these government programs would benefit your family right this moment?

Head Start Program
After School Program
First Time Home Owners Grant
Recreational for school age children (specify what activity do you believe your child might be interest)
Last, Single Mothers Job Training and Vocational Programs

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• None -

I have a preschool daughter, but Head Start would not be for her. I involve her in activities, and teach her, and let her have unstructured time at home to play.

I have a school age daughter, but after a day at school the last thing I want her to do is go into an after school program. She has enough homework that by the time we have snack and talk about her day, look at the homework and come up with a plan of attack, she does the homework, and then some play time it's nearly time for dinner as it is.

We own our home, and it was our first time buying real estate, but we bought 8 years ago. We bought a house we could afford, even after I stopped working, and even when the government froze pay so that my husband hasn't had a raise at all (let alone substantial one) in 2 years. I haven't seen any 1st time homeowner grants that would retroactively go back and apply to us.

(continued)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 8:43 AM on May. 11, 2011

• An after school program would be great, but to be honest, I can afford after school care at the daycare just fine. So I really wouldn't want any government "program" for that.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 8:50 AM on May. 11, 2011

• None because I'd end up paying for it in my taxes anyway. Might as well pay for a program I select based on reputation than a crappy Govt. program.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• NONE - We need affordable insurance, medical & dental care.
    mommamiaria

Answer by mommamiaria at 8:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Again, I have a school age daughter, but I would not be interested in a government activities program for her. She has a dance scholarship to a local dance school, she is involved in girl scouts (VERY cheap, and if I couldn't afford dues they would have worked with me), she plays field hockey in the fall ($50 for the entire season), she is involved in a choir and a missions/Bible club (both free). When would she have time for anything else?

And, by the grace of God, I am not a single mother. But if they extended that to ALL mothers, then I guess I would possibly use that to hone my skills before reentering the job force in a few years, or if it had school grants I would really enjoy going to grad school. Possibly seminary.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 8:46 AM on May. 11, 2011

• none, we get free Pre-K in the military ( better than head start), after school programs are the same deal, we live in military housing so, we dont need the First time home owners,I am nota single mother, and my kids recreational sports are based on income by military already.... sorry
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:05 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Head Start is a deceiving title for that program. In order to qualify, a child has to be delayed, not speak English, or be on assistance in some fashion. It's not a 'Head Start', it's a 'Catch Up' program.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 11, 2011

• None.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:56 AM on May. 11, 2011

• right in this very moment... the last one would :( but if my husband gets his act together that wouldn't be necessary, and then the first one would be most beneficial.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:56 AM on May. 11, 2011

• None.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on May. 11, 2011