Spin Off of the Dress debate

I want to say first that I do not mean anything that I type to sound snotty or snarky. I understand that you can't "hear" my tone... but please do not take offense to my answers or my questions I'm in no way trying to be a B* when I respond.

Ok, with that being said.

Do you think that how you were as a child (discipline or lack thereof by your parents, morals etc) growing up impacts your decisions that you make with your children?

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 8:08 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Most definitely!

Answer by older at 8:13 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Of course, but it can go either way. I know some adult that could run wild as kids that are model parents. And some kids that where parented very well and they can't (should I say don't) control their children at all.

Personally my parents were good parents, and I kinda well let's say explored my options. I want terrible, but I learned from my mistakes - that's a good way to put it :-)

My kids know that I am fair but strong and open minded. They have it a little tougher than some of their friends, but they know they are loved, respected and cared for. I never want to look back and say "I wish I had done more". So, yes for ME the love of my parents and learning from my mistakes made me the parent I am today.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:17 AM on May. 11, 2011

• A friend of mine would never even touch a glass of alcohol. He is the most responsible person I've ever met. His dad was an alcoholic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes, I was parented strickly but not hands on and as soon as I was able to get out and go crazy. I did that and more. I think you have to be balanced when parenting. To strict and you are not allowing your child to learn and grow. When they get out the go crazy. On the other hand if you don't set any limits they are not taught responsiblity.
    MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 8:28 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I think it can go either way. I didn't agree with or like a lot of my parents rules, but I damn sure had respect for them. While I don't think their parenting style was perfect (who's is?) I do find myself channeling my parents from time to time LOL.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:29 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I was raised differently than my brothers. I am the oldest by 7 years and the only girl. My parents made most of their mistakes with me but learned from that and changed their tactics with my brothers. My dad came very close to apologizing to me for the hard time I had with them growing up. I wouldn't raise my kids the way they tried with me, but aspire to be how they are now with my brothers, who are still at home.
    Not that they di terribly with me, more like they were trying too hard. Every little thing became a battle. They thought they had to have complete control over everything. Now they re more laid back. They save the battles for the important stuff KWIM? I want to be like that.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:38 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes, and I'm in trouble because I never wanted to do anything to upset my parents. So I don't understand why anybody would want to, and then I don't know what might change their minds, what punishments would work, etc. I have no knowledge how to discipline, since I don't remember ever being disciplined. I wore what they wanted, got good grades, was home on time, never talked back, and all that just to make them happy.

I also don't believe you can learn to parent from a book. I read some and they were pretty useless for what I needed, because I'd keep saying "yes, but what about when..." (my current situation) and it was never addressed. Oh well, do what we can, right?
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:47 AM on May. 11, 2011

• somewhat, yes. But not completely. Each Child has his/her own needs and personality and should be handled suitably taking that into consideration.
    KathyMiranda

Answer by KathyMiranda at 8:51 AM on May. 11, 2011

• yes! In almost every way
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:03 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Yes I think so. We all turned out fine. No issues about inappropriate attire or inappropriate behavior. No drugs,no teen pregnancies, no bad behavior. it was all about getting good grades as teens, having nice friends, then going to College....marriage, then after a few years children.Responsible parenting and responsible adults. Its a result of love and respect and rules.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:24 AM on May. 11, 2011