Are babies protected from outside infections/diseases while inside the Mother's Womb?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Not sure but an infection in the mother CAN impact the baby, even if the baby does not actually get the infection. When I was pregnant last, my placenta tore away from the uterine wall. I had had an infection and the docs weren't sure if the infection caused the tear or if the infection developed as a result of the tear. Regardless, my baby was in distress and had to be delivered early via emergency c-section.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I think the normal ones, the cold, flu and such. I have heard of someone who had chickenpox while pregnant and the baby was born with a few spots. When I worked at a daycare a little girl had hand, foot and mouth while I was pregnant and my doctor did a blood test to make sure I had already had it because it isn't good to have while pregnant,
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:18 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Serious diseases can affect the baby. "normal" seasonal things usually don't affect the baby unless you cant eat/drink. Then you can get dehydrated and baby doesnt like that. My dr warned me about severe illnesses like small pox/chicken pox and other more rare things. When my son had the flu they made me take that flu medicine to try to stop me from getting it because of the dehydration problem.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 9:08 AM on May. 11, 2011

• for the most part yes...colds, flu and stuff like those only impact the momma. Certain things like Chicken Pox, Shingles etc...can be very dangerous if the mom gets it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:12 AM on May. 11, 2011