Swelling in cheek after dental visit

My 8 year old daughter elena went for a dental visit on monday and had to have a shot of novaciane .Yesterday I noticed a big spot on her cheek all the way to the back of her mouth that looks really odd.She said she had been chewing on her cheek when it was numb.Her cheek is also swelled up on that side and it is noticiable.Does anyone know if this is normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Hope that she feels better and the swelling goes down.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 3:15 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Call the dentist and tell him whats going on And if you need to trake her back, so he can take a look at her, or if you need to take her to see a doctor.Is she hurting does it bother her. ? Mayube you can ask the dentist if you couls be trying something at home first. But do call your dentist and let him know.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:49 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Perfectly normal if she bit herself while numb. The same thing happened to DS.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:50 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I agree with previous post she was biting on her cheek since she was numb.
    krisrdh2009

Answer by krisrdh2009 at 8:56 AM on May. 11, 2011

• call the office.. my dentist wanted to see my dd when she had swelling after work done to her.. a little swelling around the tooth is normal however in the cheeks he may want to rule out infection or alllergies so talk to him just to be sure.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:06 AM on May. 11, 2011

• If she admits to chewing on her cheek, that's the problem and it's nothing to call the dentist about - just remind her next time not to chew her cheek. My DS did the same thing on Monday but he's only 4 and didn't know better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on May. 11, 2011

• She probably bit herself in the same spot, and now it swelled. I would suggest keeping an eye on it and if the swelling does not go down or if new symptoms appear then call the DDS and ask if they need to see her.
    I have done that... and did not realize I bit myself till after the numbness went away.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks ladies I called the doctor and they told me to have her gargle with warm salt water and try an ice pack
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:19 PM on May. 11, 2011