What would you do if your 7 yr dd did this?

So I wanted to whop my daughters but yesterday I had a new cable provider in my home installing when she got home from school she saw the different cable box and came running down the hall with the new remote in her hand raising her very upset voice she got to my door tossed the remote and says I don't want that small box I want my silver one back and this is just great I have to learn how to use this one now this is crap my response was pick up that remote you better watch your mouth and when you want to get a job and pay for the cable then u will have a say so until that happens u can stand in the corner holding that remote in the air for 15 mins while I took her box out of the room and now u have nothing to complain about u have no box I was extremely shocked at the way she acted like a spoiled brat I have now stepped back and relized some adjustments need to be made Ahhh mothering and who the hell does she think she was talking to like that she lost her mind

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 8:45 AM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would have spanked her as well.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 11:37 PM on May. 13, 2011

• No need to scream & yell or raise your hands. I would have had the cable totally removed until her attitude improved. I bet that would get her attention and make the most impact.
    mommamiaria

Answer by mommamiaria at 8:55 AM on May. 11, 2011

• i would have sent my child right to the corner and with that mouth OH BOY my mom would have beat my ass! LOL she should be LUCKY she gets one i didn't have a TV in my room until i was in high school... i think you handled the situation EXACTLY RIGHT!

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:50 AM on May. 11, 2011

• You did good. She apparently didn't appreciate the fact that she had one to begin with. Good job mom.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:54 AM on May. 11, 2011

• wow i do not blame you at all momma , my oldest does not handle even a slight chang well but she has asperger's but even then i would not tolerate it and would of taken it out to
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 8:49 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I would've have taken the box away too. But after taking a long breath I would have done some "investigation". I would sit with her and ask her if she knew that all the channels remain and assure her that she could still watch all of her favorites.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 9:00 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I would have taken her tv time away for a week!!!
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:02 AM on May. 11, 2011

• It sounds to me like she expects to be consulted on things like this. The person who pays for the service is the person who decides which one to have, not the smart mouth kid. Tell her that you will be happy to switch back when she pays for cable service.

You didOK. It would have been better if you had stayed calm.  (Can't tell if you were shouting too from your question.)

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:03 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Good for you for taking the cable away - an absolutely appropriate punishment for her actions.

This happens to all of us. Just when you think you're sailing along just fine, they remind you that you have to stay on top of them. And fortunately, just when you feel like you're doing everything wrong, they do something to make you feel like you're doing OK.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:37 AM on May. 11, 2011

• You did good mama. Thumbs up!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:46 AM on May. 11, 2011