Paint color help: toddler girl's room

We're getting ready to redecorate our DD's room (2.5 years old). Her room is going to be very bright & girly. The colors of bedding & accessories are purple,pink,dark pink, green & turquoise. Her furniture is white. The problem is that her room is VERY small! :( So I need a color that won't make it feel or look even smaller!
I was thinking about painting 1 of 3 colors with white trim...
light pink, light purple, or light aqua (a very pretty blue-ish color)

Any ideas or suggestions?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 9:03 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i would just do white with some wall stickers- or the tourqouise-
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:36 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I would go with white with accents in the other colors of the bedding. Can you paint flowers in those colors or something on the walls? Or the same pattern that is on the bedding?
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:41 PM on May. 11, 2011

• Since it's small I would do it white, at the top dip her feet in the bright colors and stamp them on the wall, hand black and white pics of her in bright colored frames, add bright curtains and throw rugs, that way when she is older you can change the decor and will not have to paint the room 10 times to cover the bright colors...............we did this to my daughters room she is now 17 and still has her feet and hand prints at the top she said she was leaving them there forever.
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 9:08 AM on May. 11, 2011

• What about a pattern of light pink, green, white, and turqouise in either stripes or diamonds on the wall that gets the most light, and white in the darker areas. Or just do color below the chair rail and white above to maximize the light and size appearance.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:15 AM on May. 11, 2011

• My DDs rooms have white at the bottom to the chair rail (well, one is white wainscoting, but the other we "cheaped out" and just painted white to the chair rail!) then a complementary color to the room (soft green in one, soft, bright yellow in the other) with a border above the chair rail and white trim. It adds a lot of color without shrinking the room.

TBS, I think the light colors you picked aren't going to close her in too much if you decide to paint the whole room. You put some thought into those colors, and they are good choices for not making the room look smaller! Ditto for the white trim. And it will make your white furniture stand out better.

As for which of the three, my vote would be the aqua, simply because I think it has the best chance of "growing" with your daughter. You may want to paint again before she gets older, but if you don't then that color should work without feeling too young.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I'm loving the suggestions so far! What about if I did aqua below the chair rail & white above with bright colored picture frames & other little decorations. I don't want to do too much to her room as far as painting because we only plan on being here about 2 more years or so as we are out growing this home very quickly!!! :)
    wishwish

Comment by wishwish (original poster) at 9:37 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Lavender :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:46 AM on May. 11, 2011

• You may wish to read about color and how it affects the perceived size of a room. i have and I have to tell you it was helpful information. Why don't you ask her? Children need to be allowed to make choices when they can, it makes them feel important and that there opinion matters. Of course be sure to tell her that you may not agree with her decision, but does it really matter what color? In a small room I think you need to keep it simple and not do much embellishment on the walls. My daughter-in-law just bought a border of wall paper about half way around the room and it looks great. They sell these types of things at most stores that sell children's furniture.
    pls27

Answer by pls27 at 9:49 AM on May. 11, 2011

• cool tones make the room larger, so a nice light cool pink or purple works.. maybe a light cool mint green to really make the other colors of pink and purple pop out.. i'm not really a fan of the blue, it may contrast too much with the other colors..

but i would consider a light mint green or either a cool light pink our cool light purple
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:53 AM on May. 11, 2011

• border wall paper unlesss its a tall room can make the room feel shorter thus smaller.. i have that problem in my bedroom. it's actually a good sized room but the ceilings are soo low it makes it feel smaller.. add the wall paper border and it makes it even shorter still,
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:56 AM on May. 11, 2011