Meeting with school principal

Our daughter is starting Kindergarten this coming fall... My husband and I are meeting with the principal in the morning to see if we like this school or not. What questions would you Mom's ask?

Thanks in advance!

LoveMyKids0203

Asked by LoveMyKids0203 at 9:06 AM on May. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What is the school policy on bullying? What is their discipline policy? Student Teacher ratio?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:20 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I would want to know about the discipline policy, the curriculum, and how your child will be graded...I actually chose to homeschool because I thought the standards for academics and behavior were far too lax. Ask them flat out why they do a better job than other schools, and see what they have to say.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:30 AM on May. 11, 2011

• How their school scores on the state report card.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:30 AM on May. 11, 2011

• school policies you need to be aware of, such as any food restrictions, the grade averages of the class, some of their curriculum.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:47 AM on May. 11, 2011

• ask for a tour of the school and get the vibe of what goes on there.......some places are more laid back others are more strict
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:48 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Ask to meet with their current kindergarten teachers at a later date or to drop in on the class unannounced to see how the teachers interact with the students. Also ask if they anticipate the current teacher(s) leaving before or at any time in the next school year such as a maternity leave, etc.
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 5:08 PM on May. 11, 2011

• We asked how many children are in the classes for that grade and how many teachers. Some K-5 rooms have two teachers or one teacher and one assistant. What does he need to know before he enters K-5? What does a typical day look like? How long and how often does he get recess? What type of communication can I expect from my child's teacher and how often? How does your school compare to the other schools in the area? What makes your school different than other schools in the area? If my child makes a poor choice how does a teacher handle it (give typical child mistakes for tge grade and age)? Do you have a school nurse? What is your absentee policy? What if my child has a special need...how would you identify it? Do parents volunteer and what type of work can they do? Does your cafeteria serve local grown food and offer organic options? Are
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:52 PM on May. 11, 2011

• there specific foods banned from the school? What is the dress code? Do K-5 students participate in physical education and how often? Art class? Music class? Tge library? Will teachers send home a calander of what tge class will be working on in the up coming week or month? What supplies will my child be expected to bring? Are there extra programs that are optional to participate in for students in K-5 and first grade? If my child is behind, how will tge teacher let me know? If my child needs to be retained how soon will you let me know? What does your first grade program look like? What makes you a great principal? How are you trying to improve this school? What is your personal educational philosophy?.... I asked dozens of questions at all the public and private schools we interviewed. I was always greeted warmly. I had principals calling me back. Ask, ask, ask.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:01 AM on May. 12, 2011