I

Hi.. I'm a single mother of 3 boys ages 7, 5, 4 and I was with their father in n abusive relationship for 7 years and since I left 2 yrs ago he's not involved in his kids lifes but his mother is. My boys told me they wanted to stay the summer with grandma. And of course she said yes. She lives 5 mins away from me. My question is ... am I wrong for letting them stay? Mind you they can come home at anytime if they wanted.

mrs.smith2011

Asked by mrs.smith2011 at 9:08 AM on May. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you and her get along why not? Is their dad going to be around? I would not put a barrier between her and the kiddos at least she has something to do with them and it's at least only 5 mins away you can always go check on them at any time. Them being so young I don't think they will last the whole summer, mine might have lasted 2 nights max
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 9:10 AM on May. 11, 2011

• No your not wrong for letting them stay at the grandmas for the summer. You are very blest to have a grandmother that is so active in your kids life, that is rare these days
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 9:11 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Of course not!I commend you for keeping her in their lives, I think that is fantstic. And like you said they will be nearby and can come home whenever
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:12 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Sounds like everyone is in agreement so why not?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:17 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Thanks ladies. And no the dad wont be around cuz she respects that I don't want him to. Yes we get along great and she's the only one that is there for me and my kids. My own parents arnt even that involved with my kids cuz they have adhd and say that can't handle them. And yes whenever they wanna come home they can.
    mrs.smith2011

Comment by mrs.smith2011 (original poster) at 9:18 AM on May. 11, 2011

• No, you will still see them all the time and be jsut as involved as you right now. I think its great that you have such a good relationship with her.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• As long as you and her get along i think thats great. I would just remind the kids that if they feel at all uncomfortable with the situation i.e. if dear ole dad shows up and causes a problem they can always come home. Is shes only 5 mins away i would make sure and visit them while they are there just to check on things. But if you think everything is fine i really don't see a reason to keep the kids from her.
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 9:28 AM on May. 11, 2011

• If you and grandma agree with the situation, do it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:33 AM on May. 11, 2011

• its great that you and grandma get a long so well but, make sure you have custody of the kids filled with the court encase ex does show up for some reason and start stuff........not saying he going to but you need to have your bases covered just in case.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:45 AM on May. 11, 2011

• if you are comfortable with it sure..
    me personally wouldn;t want to be away from my kids all summer so i might suggest a week here and there or a few days a week most, but thats me lol. but like you said she is only 5 mins away
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:45 AM on May. 11, 2011