My 11 year old step-son is still wetting the bed. We have him on the weekends and my husband gets him up in the middle of the night. I feel that he is old enough to get up on his own in the middle of the night. I have purchased pads and undergarments for him to wear and he hates them, I have special pads for the bed and he will go in the middle of the night and not get up to clean himself up. It is very frustrating and I need some advice. Thank-you!

Bed wetting at 11 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Health

• I am experiencing the same exact situation with my 12 year old step son who is here on the weekends, we know when he wets the bed because when he gets up he has changed his clothes. I am not sure how to help you because we are going through the same thing.
    Anonymous

• my 10 yr old still wets the bed. i just purchased a sleep alarm for him, to wake him up if he starts to wet. he is not crazy over it but is willing to use it if it will help him stop. i used to feel frustrated with bedwetting when i babysat my neice that wet. until i had my own child, i did not believe that they coulnt help it. i thought it was laziness. now i knw better. i had a friend whose child was helped by a chiropractor. this didnt help my son though. our dr said he probably has a smaller capacity bladder and will need to train himself to wake up in the night. the alarm should help with that.the dr. also suggested, to stregthen the bladder, for him to start and stop while urinating. there is also a nose spray that is supposed to work, but not to use it all the time. i know it is frustrating , but you need to remember it is not the childs fault. noone at this age wants to wet the bed.
    racemom882008

Answer by racemom882008 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• We just change the sheets daily. He takes a bath in the morning when he wakes up.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I agree with racemom882088 - try a wee alarm.

When a child keeps sleeping with a wet bed, it's a strong sign that he is sleeping too deeply to even know he has to go. The wee alarm will help retrain his brain to hear that "I've got to go" feeling and to wake him up so he can go.

Getting mad at him makes about as much sense as getting mad at someone who snores. He's asleep and can't help it.

Also, I can understand why he hates the pads and pullups... he's 11. He's ashamed and thinks he's the only one with this problem. He's not. I wet the bed until I was 6. My parent's purchased a wee alarm and it worked. If they hadn't, who knows how many more years I would have wet the bed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• If I were you, I'll have his mom take him to the doctor's for a check up and seeing whats causing the accidents in bed...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Personally I had the same problem as a teen. I wet the bed until I was 15 or 16 years old. My father was very strict/abusive. My parents tried the threats/beatings, took me to a therapist who said I was mad because my mom left when I was two, I was put on presecriptions and nothing worked. It boiled down to sleeping to soundly and not having control. I just suddenly quit when I was finally able to take control of myself and my life. I moved out. Not saying this is the answer but this is what worked in my situation.
    melissap37

Answer by melissap37 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• yes, its normal, it's stress, problems and his parents seperation and or divorce, the constant going from one house and another, STRESS , it will go away , not to worry. show him lots of love and respect. and his stress will diminish
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 6:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2008