I fear my toddler is at risk for obesity...

she is a good weight right now. She has in the last couple of months gotten tot where she wants to eat ALL the time. I tell her no to some food request every 10-15 min. Then she cries and gets mad when I say no, she ends up in time out and then when she gets out she ask to eat again. She is not asking for and things per-say and I do say yes sometimes. But like yesterday she had for breakfast a while wheat waffle, a cup of yogurt and a 3 med size strawberries. 15 min later she asked for a cheese stick. I said no. Then she asked for candy, of course I said no. then she asked for an apple... I told her she had breakfast and could wait until snack time. For snack she had a cheese stick, lunch was a 6 inch sub with turkey, cheddar, lettuce, and extra tomatoes with apple slices and 1/2 a cookie, snack was popcorn with a few chocolate covered cranberries, dinner was a chicken leg, rice and peas with watermelon for dessert. So she eats WELL. she just wants to eat constantly. I try to make sure she isn't bored and I give her a cup of water any time she says she is hungry, occasionally giving in to a little fruit. It is just obnoxious she wants to always be eating...what can I do? Do I just let her eat? she was 38 inches and 29 pounds 5 months ago. She is 3 and a half.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Are you obese? Is her father obese? Genetics play a HUGE part in obesitiy. I generally never denied my kids food, unless of corse they didn't eat their breakfast or dinner...etc. Toddlers are natural grazers, the key is to give them healthy foods. Also, chunky babies and toddlers do NOT mean that they will be overweight children.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Oh also, she's 3, she's naturally going to throw a fit when you tell her no to anything, it's in the contract
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:20 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Kids going growth spurts. If you are feeding her normaly. You should not have any issues.

Answer by louise2 at 9:22 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I say let her eat. She might be getting ready for a big growth spurt. If you try to control her food and punish her, she will end up with an eating disorder- either obesity, bulima or anorexia. Give her carrot sticks, or chopped veggies if you're worried about her health. Celery isn't going to make her fat. It's not going to cause her any harm.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 9:22 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Take her to a pediatric endocronologist. You need to find out it if she truly overweight and if the doctor is concerned he will check her and then tell you if your fears are real and it they are he will tell you how to intervene.]

I have a granddaughter that just made the chars for weight finally. She was severely underweight. I was really scared to death. She was taken to a pediatric endocronologist who tested her to make sure there were no medical reasons. Then he intervened with her diet and now she actually has a belly and "thunder thighs"( not really) She eats all the time and always has, however she needed a diet change and now she is thriving. PS. I am not sure that I spelled endocronologist correctly. My computer keeps highlighting it, it just may not be in it's vocablulary.
    pls27

Answer by pls27 at 9:28 AM on May. 11, 2011

• If you let her have healthy snacks it will be fine. Toddlers graze all day, and they *should* be a little "chunky" You are going to give her a complex!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:34 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Just have fruit ready for her when she wants a snack. She could be growing right now is why she is eating so much, it should slow down.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:34 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I just kind of figure she is eating more than me at meals she shouldn't need more than 2 snacks. A 6 inch sub for a 3 and half year old? WITH apples and part of a cookie? Shoot I ate a 3 inch sub and a handful of sun chips... I don't have snacks and I am fine. In understand her metabolism is faster so she needs between meal snacks but eating constantly seems like a bad habit to get into....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:36 AM on May. 11, 2011

• let her eat.. keep a bowl of raw veggies like carrot sticks, brocoli, and/or celery in the fridge that she can grab whenever she feels hungry.. its healthy food, that won't make her obese, infact your child is on the low end for weight in the 15th percentile.. so really if she is hungry let her eat!

if its healthy its fine.. i'm actually concerned because she's on the low end for her weight and you are denying her,, that can create health issues too.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:36 AM on May. 11, 2011

• She won't eat raw veggies, she wants fruit and cheese all the time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:37 AM on May. 11, 2011