naptimes?

How old were you children when they did not take naps anymore? Did you ever enforce naptime when they were resistant against it? Do your bedtimes become earlier if they do not nap during the day?

cldetary

Asked by cldetary at 3:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD stopped taking daily naps the month she turned 2. She would get them about 4 times a week. She is now 3 and it is rare for her to nap. On the days she does..she is so wide awake at beddtime and for hours afterwards. She is usually in bed anytime between 7 and 8.

She may get a 20min snooze in the car though..but as soon as I get her out she is wide awake.
    allisonsmommy

Answer by allisonsmommy at 2:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I babysit my neices and nephews on a daily basis, and when they are out of school, we play it by ear. If they are tired and cranky, everyone lays down and watches a movie or something. My 6 year old gets naps occasionally, and my younger two children get to nap when they are tired and want one. If they get a nap during the day they do not have an earlier bedtime, but if they go without that rest time, they are ready for an earlier bedtime. You will know what your kids need by how they react (going with or without a nap). Its all trial and error...
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 4:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My daughter took naps until she was 5, my son is 3 1/2 and still taking naps (my plan is for him to continue until he is 5).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My 4 yr old stop taking naps when he was a little over 3. His bedtime did not get to be any earlier; but it became much easier for him to relax and fall asleep. I will say, that at first we started waking him up after 1 1/2 hours for about a week, then after 1 hour for about 2 weeks, then after 30-45 min. This made it an easier transition for both him and us b/c we didn't go cold turkey and have to fight to keep him up until his bedtime, which is bath at 7:30 and in bed asleep around 8:15. He get's up around 6:30 on most days; but sometimes he's up at 5:30 and sometimes he up at 7am.
    2boystolove

Answer by 2boystolove at 4:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My son has changed his naptime sooo many times. Every day is different. Tonight he fell asleep at 6p. Its annoying, but id rather him sleep than to be cranky! lol
    khrystijensen

Answer by khrystijensen at 6:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My son has stopped taking naps at day care almost as soon as he turned 3. We tried to enforce it for a while, but he would fight and fight and disturb all the other kids. Now his teachers don't even try. I try to get him down at least one of the weekend days, but I have to lay down with him or there's no way. And his bedtime hasn't changed, but he does fall asleep in the car on the way home from school at least a couple times a week. (Makes for a nice break for me!)
    BohdanMommy

Answer by BohdanMommy at 8:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• every kid is different even brothers and sisters. even if they don't want to nap I do enforce a quiet time in the middle of the day. Where they need to relax in their room quietly and if they fall asleep great if not fine at least they had some down time. My daughter will announce that she is tired and go lay down my son needs more sleep than his younger sister and did naps until he was 5 she's about done with them at 3 but will take herself to bed a little earlier.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Grace will be 4 in January. For about the past six months or so, her nap schedule hasn't been as strictly enforced as in the past. I just play it by ear. Most days I can simply tell by her mood when she wakes up whether or not she's going to need a nap! If she does nap, it's from 1 to 3 or 1:30 to 3:30. Some days, given my errands & responsibilities, napping just isn't an option, and on those days when she cannot nap (but really needs to), I put her to bed earlier.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 2:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My dd is 3 1/2 and doesn't want to take a nap anymore. So we do "quiet time" in her room for 2 hours. Sometimes she'll fall asleep and other times she won't. I actually don't want her to sleep any later than 3pm, because if she does she won't go to sleep until 11pm. We'll put her in bed around 9 and I'll still hear her up by 11! Not to mention the constant coming out and saying she can't sleep. When there is no nap, she goes to bed at 8 and is asleep in 10 minutes- I like that much better.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2008