Do you think you save much money making your own items (crafts/sewing) or is it mostly just for entertainment?

I am crocheting a blanket at the moment that I will have at least $30 in yarn into by the time it is finished...that is not saving me any money.

I am sure that there has been something that I have done (probably re-doing furniture) that has saved me money in the past, but I think I mostly do my "crafty" things to have something to do and so I have things look the way I want and match...not so much to save money.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:26 AM on May. 11, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• No, but I enjoy the creative process and I figure I at least break even.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:46 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think it completely depends upon what it is. If you were going to purchase that same blanket, I'm certain you'd spend much, much more for the item than you invested in yarn, simply because your time is worth a lot, but there's no monetary value attached when you're making it for yourself :)

Now, I DO make many things for our home that DO save us money, but not always something like what you're referencing. I make cleaners, my own napkins, unpaper towels, etc - and I DO make them for less than I could buy them and they do save us money - to the tune of over $1500 a year.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 9:32 AM on May. 11, 2011

• making my clothes saves a lot of money. but I think most of those things isn't a financial saver, and if you figure the time it often costs you more.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:34 AM on May. 11, 2011

• just depends on what your making and how much your willing to spend on the supplies......i made my mom some sundresses for mothers day and as i already had the matrial (purchased at a close out sale) and just took apart the old sundress to make a pattren i only spent 4$ on binding for two dresses.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:36 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I knit. I know my craft is not exactly a cheap one! I do it mostly because I like it and to keep my hands busy. I usually make gifts too, though, so I guess in that sense it maybe does save me money... since I know I could spend a lot more if I were to buy gifts!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 9:41 AM on May. 11, 2011

• I agree that whether or not you're saving money depends on what you're making, and what you're comparing it to.

If , for example, you would only pay bargain prices for ready-made items; but you use good quality yarn and beautiful stitch patterns to make your own; you are comparing apples and oranges. A handmade, afghan of high quality, natural fibers is expensive. So you're getting an expensive item, at a regular price.

I make many of my own clothes. I get good quality fabric and notions, on sale. I put in details (like lace trimmed linings in my dresses) that I see in clothing in upscale stores. A dress I make myself may cost me $30 to make. I could buy a 'run of the mill' dress at Kohl's for that price; but for a dress of similar quality and detail at Anthropologie, I'd have to pay around $150 - $200.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:12 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I think the cost tends to be more when you make some things yourself, but the value (to yourself or the receiver) is much more when it is handmade. I do scrapbooking and card making. I've rarely had anyone save a card that I bought at the store, but they always save the handmade cards because they are personal. I've also sewn some things for my kids and they love to watch the process and see the final product. Also, I think it costs a lot up front if you are just getting started. I'm new to sewing and still need a lot of basic tools.
    LuvAt1stSight

Answer by LuvAt1stSight at 1:08 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I make my own jewelry - mostly because I can't ever find things I like, and to sometimes save money. I just love to be creative and I do it to use by creative side (my job does not let me express any!) I am sure that I would have probably saved money along the way if I wasn't into being crafty. I have spent more than enough money in the scrapbooking world!
    sunshyne_rust

Answer by sunshyne_rust at 12:32 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I don't see where it makes a difference...except with our wedding.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 6:59 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Definitely my own entertainment ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:39 PM on May. 12, 2011